Chapter 2: "At Least it's Over"

After that, the situation got sorted out with the police showing up outside the arcade and my shift ended early approved by my manager, I got my stuff ready to leave as a cop called stopping me by the entrance. "Hey, good work there!" He congratulated me. "Oh, no problem! It's the least I could do before it gets out of hand." I waved goodbye and exited out of the building. 

Most of the people left while some were questioned by the police on their accounts of the situation. At the entrance I saw the kid I apprehended in handcuffs with the mark I left on him turning into a bruise, he turned to me and gave me the death stare, to break the tension the policeman escorting him called him, "Hey, get in the car." He opened the door for the felon as he accepted his fate. 

I sigh in relief, "At least it's over" I didn't want anyone causing chaos here like the last time. "Um, Miss?" someone called me from behind. It was the kid that I saved. "Here." He held 500 yen up his in hands. "Oh thank you, but I can't take that offer. "Oh thank you, but I can't take that offer." I politely declined. 

"You know, I always looked up to you. Watching all those street fights, beating up guys with no fear. I always want to be like you." I was flattered, but also concerned. "You shouldn't look up to me, street fighting is a dangerous profession." That reminded me of the reason why I got into street fighting in the first place. I came a long way since then, and I guess it's great that I could be an inspiration to someone like I had for myself.

I turned to one of the crane machines, the one with the Blanka-chan dolls some school girls gathering around it  giggling and gossiping about it, "Why are these things here?" "Yeah, What are they even supposed to be?" They snickered. "How could someone like something this ugly?" Then they're laughing hysterically. It got under my skin and struck a nerve with me that I wanted to say something. "Don't listen to them." the kid said. I turned to him to realize that I never thought I'd take a kid's advice, but he's right. I have better things to worry about. 

"Saji!" I heard the woman, call out from the sidewalk, run up and give him a big hug. "Oh, Mom don't embarrass me!" ("Saji, so that's his name.") "Are you okay? Are you hurt?" shooting many questions all at once. "I'm fine, just a little scratch." "I was worried sick about what happened to you after the attack. Please be more careful!" "Okay, Okay I will." The woman turned to me, "Was it you the one that saved him?" "Yes," I answered certainly. "Thank you so much! I don't even know how to repay you." She started to get something out of her purse. "It's okay, You don't have to." I stopped her from doing so. "Oh, Thank you again." They turned away in the opposite direction " Let's get something small to cheer you up." "Okay!" 

They walked away with the mother hugging Saji. I couldn't help but smile and be proud of what I did today. ("I wonder if he would be proud too?") I thought as I looked at the afternoon sky.