Nobody is home

Song » Still by Luke Sital-Singh

1
The car was parked when Liv let her eyes glance over the two other vehicles: the blue Tesla from her mother and the dark blue Mini from Jasper. She sighed relieved; it meant her family was home. Liv longed for the moment to pout out her heart about her bad day. She grabbed her bag and wanted to get out of the car, but the strap of her bag kept hanging around her poke.

"Jesus Christ," Liv sneered and yanked her bag towards her. "Bloody hell," she said and could feel the tears burning in her eyes. She got out of the car and slammed the door shut. If her dad was home, he would probably give her a lecture about how to treat expensive stuff right.

Liv took a deep breath and walked to the front door. When she got inside, it was quiet, dark and lifeless. It made her frown, mum and Jasper are home, right?

"Hello?!"

It remained silent. She walked around the house to see a sign of people. The last place to have a look was the kitchen. She gave up the hope to see someone, but she wanted to see someone in the kitchen. Her lips parted when she entered a dark kitchen. There was no one at home. She opened WhatsApp on her phone and send her mum a text.

Olivia Di Costa: Mum, where are you???????
Olivia Di Costa: And where's Jas???

Liv leant against the counter of the kitchen island and closed her eyes. The pressure on her head indicated her she was about to cry. The small muscles around her eyes trembled, but she kept fighting. She looked up and saw a short note on the fridge. With a yank, she got the letter from the fridge and let her eyes glide over her mum's handwriting.

{I won't make it in time today. There are ingredients to make pancakes in the fridge. Jas is at his girlfriend's tonight. I'm sorry! Xx}

Great for letting it know on time, brilliant mum. Liv threw the paper on the counter with her phone next to it. She walked to her upstairs. Dad is in Italy, mum is at work, Jasper is at Maya's, Isabelle is with Lorenzo in London, Oliver is in Amsterdam for his work and Lando is Mexico. In bloody Mexico. There was no one who she could go to. No one is home, no one is there for me when I need them. When she got on the first floor, she walked over to her room. It was silence, even the silence was beginning to annoy her. Her arm hit the doorknob, a deep, harsh pain went through her arm.

"Jesus fucking Christ," she cried out and kicked the door with her foot out of annoyance. That was a bad idea because her toes began to hurt too. Her hand rubbed over her arm, and she walked to her bed. It was a day were she got annoyed at everything. She let herself fall on her bed and the tears what she fought against, came violently out of her eyes.

2
For the third time, Lando saw how his FaceTime call got rejected, or how it didn't connect. With other words: Liv didn't pick up her phone. It was 10:34 Mexico time, meaning it was 17:34 in the UK. The plan was to FaceTime at 10 o'clock. It was nothing like Liv to be late, and if she was late, she would have let him know.

"You look like someone had died," Carlos said and stood in front of Lando.

Lando looked at him. "Liv and I would FaceTime a half an hour ago," he told him. Carlos nodded. "But she doesn't answer me."

Team members of McLaren walked around the garage to fix the last pieces of their car. They could read the worry on Lando's face, but they assumed it was about the upcoming weekend.

Carlos replaced the cap on his head. "She could have forgotten it?"

"No," Lando shook his head. "She never forgets those things." He leant against the wall and looked at Carlos. "That is not like her."