15) Engaged to a Jerkface...and I have no say in it!

I walked to the elevators slowly. Since I visited my mother, I wasn’t in much of a hurry. More like, in deep thought. I honestly knew she’d get better…but what if she didn’t? What would my life be like without parents? I was already fatherless. Would God be cruel enough to make me motherless too? I hope not. Soon, I’d be 18, a legal adult, be married to oh-so-preppy Jake, and officially moved into our mansion. God, my life looked like heaven compared to a hobo, but to me, I’d rather have the hobo life than mine right now. I smiled at the irony of it all.

The elevator dinged and opened. Inside I found Jake, his blond hair tousled from the wind and his shirt unbuttoned. Can he try any harder? I rolled my eyes mentally.

“What do you want Jake?” I asked firmly. How the heck did he find me? Oh yeah, I told him. Sorry, blonde moment (even though I have hair the color of a raven’s).

“Tori,” He took a moment to smooth his wind-swept hair, “I’m sorry. That was completely irresponsible of me and I’m very sorry. Your mother was close to death and I was in that room with…with—” He broke off for a moment.

I simply stared at him unforgivingly. Gods know he’s going to have to try harder than that to earn back my trust. “Are you done?” He looked up startled. He nodded slightly, side-stepping out of the elevator. “Good, because I rarely forgive…and I never ever forget.” I stepped in before he could block the way and shut the door before he would follow me.

I felt the air move as the elevator went down to the lobby. It dinged and swished open. I walked through the rotating doors and saw Cole sitting in his van with ear buds in, listening to my I-pod. I stroll up to the van and gently knock on the windshield. He looks up and grins, holding up my I-pod, which he was using without permission. I tried to stifle my laugh, but failed as he unlocked the doors. I climbed in, grabbed my I-pod back and slammed the door shut as he started the engine. It roared to life and we took off.

“So…how was your mom?” Cole asked softly, not taking his eyes off the road. I smiled and he gave a sideways glance at me.

“Perfect. Drunk kid whammed into her car, but she’s healing.”

“That’s good.” There were a few moments of silence, but it wasn’t the uncomfortable type, more like we were both deep in our thoughts.

My mother…her beautiful chocolate brown hair, deep gray eyes with a twinkle of laughter, and her lips quirked into an easy smile. Her hair fanned out around her as she flew. Soaring in the sky, laughter bubbling up, and eyes wide open taking in the excitement. Her beside me, teaching me how to pray beside my bed, her soothing my nightmares and promising it would all be okay, her planning my first sleepover birthday party shopping all day for the right supplies, her putting on her coral lipstick getting ready for her date with dad, and her…crying over Daddy’s casket at the funeral. I remember it all, standing there trying to be the firm rock my mother needed so much, even though I felt like breaking down and weeping too. Afterwards, it seemed she loved me even more. I was her only reminder of Dad, a precious gift from heaven as she used to say before she tucked me into bed.

“Hey…Tori?” What? I blinked twice before looking at him. He was drumming his fingers quietly on the steering wheel.

“Yeah?” He looked a little embarrassed, avoiding my eyes.

“Would you…maybe…want to visit your father’s grave? I mean, I would love to see him…you don’t have to thought if—” What the hell? Why didn’t I think of that?

“That’s perfect,” I smacked my forehead, “Why didn’t I think of that?” He smiled a little.

“Maybe because you’re not as smart as me!” He teased. I hit him lightly on his arm. “Hey! Don’t smack the driver!” He said mock-sternly. We were silent again the rest of the way to the grave sight.

Cole cut the engine and we both hopped out.

“Springrose Graves, right?”

“Yeah…” He walked beside me, heading towards the lumpy graveyard.

“I, uh, actually don’t know where he is…” I admitted. He gave me a warm smile.

“It’s alright, we’ll find him. You check that section, I’ll check this one.” I agreed and we parted. Sherry Block, Kara Dwight, Sarah Tame, Darren Rider, Taylor Winge, Grace Perlenfein…on and on. I stopped at Melody Song who had died yesterday according to her headstone. She was only six. How sad…her flowers were yellow and still fresh-looking. How were her parents holding up? Did she have parents? Gosh, those stones always leave out so many unanswered questions. I stared at her pale white grave for a while in deep thought. Then, the twinkle of the sun brought me back to reality. I thought hard, God bless you Melody. I hope you’re happy where you are. And I hope your parents, whoever they are to cherish their moments of you. I hope they’re fine and may they get over this hard time in their life. I wonder if you were like me…light and cheerful…maybe even musical according to your name. It’s really a lovely name: Melody Song. I hope you were alright.

I walked on after that, but couldn’t get her name out of my head. Melody Song…now where had I heard that name before? I racked up my brain trying to remember. No use, there was nothing but the sound of it that rang a bell. I strolled on, looking for any sign of Rob Cormela

“HEY TORI! OVER HERE! I THINK I FOUND HIM!” I raced towards the sound of Cole’s voice.