33

They went to the old nuclear shelter underground, which over the years had been rebuilt into a near-impenetrable operations base. Alex, exhausted, didn't make much of anything before she fell asleep in a little room. She woke to soft footsteps and the aroma of fresh food, a familiar silhouette, and the frame of the door shutting away.

"Bennie," she said.

The dim lights flickered on. Bennie grinned and brought a tray to her bedside table.

"Good to see you're still kicking, Alex. How's the head?"

"Decent," she said, scanning the walls as if a window could appear. "Where is Haneul?"

"Fill up your stomach first, won't you?"

Broth and a soft bread, a delicate meal. It was not the fine and exact taste from Vaughn's kitchen, which was simultaneously a sting and a relief. Last night, they had assured Alex that the Regent would be securely confined until they had decided what to do with him. She had an urge to ask Bennie if they had treated Vaughn's wounds, fed him a meal, but thinking of the pain that man had caused them, she suppressed the question.

Instead, "What time is it?"

"Quarter to ten. Morning. You've had a good rest."

"Has there been any trouble since last night?"

"It was clean. The boys are back at their usual, and Jacques is getting some rest. The Sky's in a panic, I'm sure, but we're secure down here. Oh, and Mr. Director sends his regards. Who would have known?"

Alex shook her head. "Not me. He helped my dad break me out, back in August. It was a bit of a gamble, trusting him. I'm sorry I put you in the line of fire."

Bennie chuckled and ruffled her hair. An unfamiliar gesture—she ducked a little, surprised. "It was the right call, angel. Hey, I'd take a few bullets for you."

She smiled before remembering that others had taken bullets. She looked down at her hands and said, "Maria and the others...I'm sorry about them. I'm not..." She paused. "What happened, exactly? In June, after I called?"

"They had a double-op planned. We were supposed to make a supply run to 42 Eastern that evening. The traps had apparently been laid and everything, and we would have walked right in if it weren't for your call. But they also hit the clinic at the same time. Haneul and Kai, they were headed for midground. But most of the other staff..." She shook her head. "That bastard, Peter. Fucking sold us to save his own ass."

"Where is Peter now?"

"Somewhere down here. Favor to his old man, we've been keeping him comfortable. But like hell we're letting him out before it's all over."

Alex nodded. She had no desire to see Peter Kozlov again.

"And...Haneul?"

"He wanted you to have space. Or he'd be here, you know. Took the day off from the clinic, actually."

"The clinic? Another one?"

"Are you even surprised?"

"I...suppose not."

Bennie chuckled. "Right? Yeah, so he's around, whenever you're ready to see him."

Alex paused. "I'm ready."

Bennie arched an eyebrow.

"I'm awake, aren't I?"

Bennie shrugged and took away the food tray. She picked up a folded pile of clothes and set it on the bed. "Dress up, then. I'll be right outside."