CHAPTER FOUR

"SO I'M ASSUMING I should be prepared for a fight, yes?" Cass asked as she tore through her dresser, ensuring she had everything she might need should the negotiations go south and they ended up stranded on Naboo.

"That's not funny, Cassiandre. The last thing the Order can afford at the moment is a physical altercation," Veneera scolded lightly, eyebrows raised at the mess that had become her Padawan's room.

"Don't worry, Master, you've trained me well," Cass grinned, slinging an old pack that had once belonged to Sansay over her shoulder. "I won't strike first."

"Cassiandre, listen to me," Veneera said, striding so that she was staring up at Cass, forcing the girl to halt her movements.

"The stakes are higher than you realize," She said lowly, her voice suddenly rushed. "I need you to promise me that you won't do anything out of turn."

Cass rolled her eyes. "We had this talk an hour ago. And the hour before that, and about three times as we were leaving the Council meeting..."

She stopped when she saw the look on Veneera's face. "Yes, I'll be on my very best behavior. You have my word."

Her master's shoulders loosened. "Good. I don't doubt that Qui-Gon will be encouraging Obi-Wan to rush into battle at the first sign of danger. The last thing I need is you tearing off with him."

Cass nodded, though both of them knew that she'd rather die than leave Obi-Wan to get all the glory.

Veneera stepped forward, reaching to straighten Cass's robes. "There is something else I must ask of you, Cassiandre. Though I will do my best to avoid it, I fear we both know that trouble is inevitable when it comes to the Trade Federation. I need your word that if things get dangerous, you will run. Even if that means abandoning the mission, or leaving me behind."

Cass scoffed. "You can't ask me to do that, Master."

"Cassiandre." She took a deep breath, her fingers tightening around the robes. "This is not a game. When the Council sees you are capable of handling assignments on your own, I will not be able to protect you. And I fear that dark times are coming, darker than any of us have seen before."

Cass's eyes narrowed, taking in her master's worried eyes. "Master, what are you talking about? You can't think this business with the Trade Federation that serious, can you?"

Veneera said nothing, only continuing to stare up at her Padawan. After a long moment, she sighed, and stepped away.

"Perhaps you are right," She said, though her voice did not hold its usual note of assurance. "For all of our sakes, I hope you are. Though I still need you to give me your word."

Cass rolled her eyes. "I won't turn my back on anyone who needs me, Master. But especially not you."

Veneera smiled, though it didn't reach her eyes. "I suppose we will just have to hope all goes smoothly then."

"Don't worry Master. I've got everything under control."

"I am proud of you, Cassiandre. Never forget that."

Cass grinned. "Jeez, I should write that down."

✰✰✰