CHAPTER FIVE

IT HAD BEEN EASY WORK getting onto a ship headed for the planet, easier than Cass had thought it would be.

Within minutes, they'd all stashed away amidst four of the dozens of ships carrying cargo to the planet. Though the leftover space was so tight she'd had to curl into a ball just to fit, and the container was pitch black and eerily silent, the journey had so far been quick and seamless.

It made her anxious, being separated from the others. Even though she knew Qui-Gon had been right in his remark on the safety of stowing away individually, her mind had quickly begun to plan for the worst; what if one of the others were captured, leaving them helpless on the ship while the rest of them sped off towards Naboo?

Forcing those thoughts away, she grit her teeth as she braced for the ship's landing. Since the ships had been designed as carriers for cargo and cargo alone, she was sure the impact would be harsher than she was used to.

Sure enough, the ship collided hard with the ground, and it was with luck that she'd thought to grip the reinforcements set into the wall, keeping her head from smacking into the steel ceiling at full force.

Once the ship had landed, the door automatically fell open. Careful to slip away before the service droids came to unload whatever had been packed into those crates, she felt her breath hitch at the sight before her.

Never in her life had she seen such a place. She'd never known nature would be so green; the pictures she'd seen in books and plastered on travel advertisements had done no justice to the way the treetops towered over her, the leaves filtering her view of the sky. Beneath her feet, the grass had been cropped short so that the droids could work freely, and from far away the sound of birds calling sent a shiver of excitement down her spine.

Concentrate, she reminded herself harshly. You're here on a Jedi mission, not to admire the view.

She needed to find the others, and quickly. Though they'd all been on ships relatively close to one another, it was doubtful that they'd all have landed in close quarters. What if they'd been sent to opposite sides of the planet? How were they to find each other?

Just as she was beginning to panic, a hand clamped over her wrist. Before she could throw back her elbow in attack, however, a voice hissed into her ear.

"It's me," Obi-Wan whispered. "We'll have to stay quiet if we're to get away from camp."

Nodding, the two set off, careful to move against ships and crates for cover. They walked in single-file, with Obi-Wan's hand pulling her along behind him.

"Do you think it's possible the others were sent further away?" Cass asked, careful to keep her voice down.

"It's possible. We'll have to-"

But he stopped, for they both turned just in time to see a flight droid flying towards them. Cass didn't have to see it up close to know it would be equipped with blasters.

"Run!" She shouted, taking the lead as they tore away from the camp and towards the safety of the forest.

The blasts of the droid were hot on their heels, and they desperately searched the trees for any place of safety.

"There!" Obi-Wan shouted.

Cass felt her heart leap at the sight of Veneera and Qui-Gon, standing just off into the wood.