Laurie III

Hi guys! I wanted to take the time to thank raiseyourglass, BethSummers3, GSF220951, OUATLOVER1 and scarfloris for giving me a vote! You guys are awesome and it just really encouraged me to keep writing this story and accomplish my goal of finishing what I started with this novel. So once again, thank you!

He watched Amy's blonde hair bounce as she shoved it behind her shoulders so it wouldn't get in the way of her painting. He held in the urge to pull on the silky threads of spun gold. That's something little boys do to the girls they have crushes on. It would be a bit too immature for him at this point.

Was it reasonable of him to be jealous of the paint she so lovingly spread on the canvas? No, he told himself, it really wasn't. He wanted her full attention on himself. When he was there, when he wasn't there. Today and everyday. He wanted to be on her mind, invading it until all she could think of was him. His rival for Amy was her passion, her art. They've spent almost everyday together since he came but it wasn't enough for him. What has been taking up the rest of her time was her paintings. Even when she was with him, she wasn't all with him. Her mind was studying everything through the lenses of symbolism. She looked with eyes searching for her new muse.

He pouted. He was trapping himself, one of the things he loved most about Amy was her passionate nature. A girl with passion and objectives really seems to be his type. But she went a bit too far today. Laurie had invited her to his apartment to hang out and when Amy said she couldn't as she needed to stay at l'Academie des Beaux-Arts to paint. Wanting to spend time with her, he told her she could finish up here. She ended up bringing a large bag of paints, a portable easel, her canvas and objects she used as models for her still life. It basically took over a part of his apartment. Always polite, Amy had beamed in gratitude at him, eyes sparkling, and he melted a little bit.

Unsurprisingly, he said nothing about the clutter and how she had made his living space into an art studio with all of the strong smells to go with it.

That was three hours ago. Three hours and she is still just as absorbed as she was in the beginning. Laurie felt he might have reason to feel neglected in the end.

He wrapped his arms around her from behind and trapped her arms in his embrace making her jump in surprise. He dropped his forehead on her skull. He was glad he trapped her arms in his. If her jump by surprise was any indication, she could have made a major error in her painting with just one bad brushstroke. He would not ruin the hours she had put into that project.

"I'm bored," he drawled out, enjoying the way she looked at him in annoyance before shoving him away.

"I'm working," she said.

"Yes, you have been. For hours now. Time for a little break."

"I can't. Since classes started again, I've been busy with projects and practicing."

She sounded tired, as if she had the weight of the world on her shoulders. She finally told him what was bothering her a few weeks ago and he still couldn't believe it. Beth, sick once more. He couldn't imagine what she was thinking. Laurie simply tried to distract her and drag her out of her self imposed brood and isolation whenever she got into one of those moods.

Her painting on the weekend, for hours on end, wasn't a matter of dedication to her craft, it was a way to drown in her guilt of not being home. She wanted to be miserable and have no life.

"Well, if you need to improve and practice... who am I to stand in your way?"

"Thank you," Amy said in a firm voice. "Now would you please release me?"

He let her go. Moving towards the couch, he jumped on it, stretching his legs out.

"Why paint a pile of fake fruits, fake flowers and old boxes though when you have a much better model right here at your disposal?" He put on his signature teasing smile that put most people on edge but simply causes her to relax.