Chapter XIV: Secret Lover

2 and a half months later

Almost three months have passed since Shiloh Lapierre returned home to his family safe and sound. News of his return was the talk of the town for several weeks and the redhead suddenly gained a bunch of new 'friends' at school, as well as popularity as he suddenly became the 'it' boy.

Everyone wanted to know why he ran away from home without telling anyone or if he was truly kidnapped but threatened into silence. Theories were that he was being abused, he had a secret girlfriend in the next town over, he got tangled with the wrong people and had to disappear for a little while and he had become paranoid after smoking and had a mental break later on. There were also many students who viewed Shiloh as an attention whore who ran away as a way to gain popularity during his senior year.

Shiloh became a small-time celebrity especially online with strangers from all over wanting to know what drove him to run away and if he was lying to cover up for someone.

Even though the details of his case were never revealed, while Shiloh was still considered a missing person the chief of police had told the media they had a prime suspect who they believed was connected to him vanishing. The snippet of that footage had been circulating making many speculate that Shiloh might actually be hiding the truth behind what really happened, that he was protecting someone.

Shiloh's parents wanted the redhead to have a normal life again. They suggested he go to therapy but the redhead refused, claiming he was fine and didn't require any help.

Behind Shiloh's back Marianne and Robert filed for a restraining order against Jaxson Westbrook. Jaxson was not permitted to be within 300 feet of any of the Lapierre's aside from Shiloh who would have to file the order himself since he was an adult now. Due to this, Jaxson, not wanting to get in any more legal trouble could not meet with Shiloh publicly since his parents made sure someone in the family was always with Shiloh at all times while in public.

Shiloh, however, knew about the restraining order against Jaxson since he overheard his parents quietly talking about getting one when they thought they were alone.

Shiloh lived two separate lives due to this. During the day he played the perfect son who was slowly getting back to his life after his kidnapping. But at night when his family was asleep Shiloh would secretly rendezvous with Jaxson at a park 15 minutes from his home. They only did it twice a week so Shiloh wouldn't get caught.

Even though Shiloh was not free to see Jaxson whenever he wanted due to the restraining order his family had against him. It excited the boy to sneak around with Jaxson. They would usually go out to St. Maria's Botanical Garden that was open 24/7. The garden was beautiful and the nights they went they rarely ran into anyone since most people were home in bed. The location was ideal because it was far enough to not run into anyone who might recognize them but also close enough to Shiloh's neighborhood.

Snuggled under his blankets, Shiloh pretended to be asleep. With his eyes shut and his breathing calm and slow. The redhead listened as his mother opened his bedroom door to check on him before heading off to bed herself.

After an hour had passed by and the house was completely silent, Shiloh removed his blanket already fully dressed to head out.

He slipped on his shoes and silenced his phone before stuffing clothes under the blankets so it looked like he was still in bed should his parents decide to check up on him in the night. He opened his bedroom door quietly and made his way downstairs, grateful that his parents fixed the creaky old steps that bothered Carter since he was a very light sleeper.

Without making a sound Shiloh headed for the back door of his home and pulled it open. He left the door unlocked and closed it before walking to the fence that separated his back yard from his neighbors. He hopped the fence then went and hopped another fence after crossing the neighbor's yard. When he was three houses from his home he went to the main street his house was on and headed towards the park.