Prologue

I'm not me. This is not my family, this is not my home, this is not my body. Those sea-green eyes are not my own, this silken hair that flows across my back in streams of golden light does not belong to me, the gentle melody that is being emitted by these red lips is not my tune and the memories that are beginning to trickle within my mind as if honey from a spoon were events I was not present for. I'm certain I'm not crazy. I can't be crazy.

Perhaps I am dreaming. But the flowery scent smothering the garden, the gentle brush of sunlight against my skin and the laughter of maids from the washhouse are far too real to doubt.

I want to doubt though. I want to consider my last memories before I awoke as simply a recreation of a movie. Yet I still remember the blinding lights speeding towards me, the screams of shock and the numbing darkness that had surrounded me. So, why do I now breathe? How am I now swaddled in light?

Before awakening in this foreign place, I was the CEO of my own company. My empire stretched globally and the name of Athena Dawn made even the haughtiest of men tremble in trepidation. I climbed from the gutters and dared to not only grasp the stars but to sell stardust for a pretty profit. A devil with the face of an angel. A goddess amongst men. Yet as the stories go, I would never be able to find an equal. Oh, how cruel fate can be!

So, I left the world alone, amongst glittering, cold stars.

That was supposed to be the end.