Chapter 1

Was the room full of worries or were they simply in her head? In an attempt to shut herself off from her world, her eyes slammed to, and that was when she knew it was all too much. She didn't wish to live in her world knowing that outside was a universe full of stories and laughter and love. She had none of that, she needed to find what she wanted.

Mabel sprang off the sofa and moved towards the cupboard under the stairs. Her fingers latched around the handle of a battered suitcase and she yanked it out from underneath a pile of collected junk. Without thinking about it, she dragged the leather case into the bedroom and crammed it with everything that was not her own. Jumpers, trousers, shoes, tatty socks; until no more could fit. 

It then crossed her mind that what she was doing may cause her more problems than intended, so she made her way to the rotary phone by the window.

"Hello?" pondered a voice at the other end of the line.

"Gar', you've still got the spare room, right? Haven't let it out to anyone yet?"

"Not yet, why? What's happening, Mabel?" he pushed for an answer.

"Your brother's coming back" she said bluntly.

"What? Why? C'mon, what's happening?" 

"He's leaving, whether he likes it or not. If he can't understand why this is happening, then it emphasises just how much of a bitch he really is" she stated.

"You wha'? Let me speak to him, talk some sense into him. Y'know." Gary inisted.

"No, Gar'. This is it. I've had enough. He's got to go..." she paused "...and I know he's got his own place just outside the city but we both know he's not going to go back there. The first thing he'll do is come running back to you. I'm sick of the crap I've put up with these last couple of months."

"I can take a guess. He's been on the booze, you've tried to stop it. Nothing worked. He got aggressive and now you're fed up."

"H-how did you know?" she asked.

"He's done it before and I'm sorry no one told you. I thought he might have changed"

"Oh my god! Are you being serious?! Well, he's at the pub right now and his case is going on the doorstep. He's not coming back to me. Not ever!" she shouted.

"Wait! Mab-". But Mabel had slammed the phone back down and threw the case outside before bolting the door.