Chapter 2

Mabel turned the corner onto Allerton Road. It was the main road cutting through the area and it led to the 47 bus stop. She felt good to be outside, let fresh air fill her lungs and hear the gentle chattering of passers-by. But she still felt nervous. It was more a sense of anxiety that she'd stumble into Bernard, her now ex-boyfriend, for she knew that encounter would not be pleasant. 

Mabel wasn't even certain that he took his case off the doorstep as anyone could have taken it. However, when she put the case out, she made sure she moved the key under the plant pot. It was the only key Bernard had access to as he wasn't trusted to keep his own on him. 

She slipped her cardigan off and secured it around he waist. Whilst she sauntered along the road, she mindlessly twiddled the the ends of the cardigan sleeves between her fingers, keeping them occupied to prevent her from over-thinking. 

The deep-green 47 bus pulled up beside her and she hopped on the back, placing the coins in the attendent's hand. She made her way to the front of the bus, pushing her way through a group of young lads, who she presumed were bickering over a bag of sweets. And for fifteen minutes she stood, clinging onto the rail whilst the bus jolted her body from side to side along the journey. She couldn't prevent her mind from wandering, yet she was certain that she did the right thing the night before. She was mainly worried that she was going to face unfortunate consequences as a result.