1 The Storm

After wiping the dirt off my hands, I lifted my empty watering can and stepped into the shade to admire my work. So far, so good. I switched my attention to Alexa, who was knelt over a patch of peonies. She brushed a loose strand of dark hair from her face, then her eyes met mine.

I smiled and turned away, watching a carriage stop in front of our stand by the road. A man stepped out, grabbed a bouquet, left some change, then waved before driving off.

I turned back to Alexa, now beside me. "Ready for a break?" I asked.

"I'm always ready for a break," she said. She pulled her hand from behind her back, revealing a pink wildflower. Before I could ask anything, she tucked it behind my ear, then headed towards the cottage.

Speechless, I followed her for our daily practice.

We had been working on a tune for a while, and were trying out some new lyrics each day. Today, the lyrics I wrote were vague enough that it could be about friendship, but in my heart I knew I wanted it to be for something more. But for now, friendship would have to do.

"...Two voices, one song!"

"I love that," I said, hoping these lyrics would stick.

"So do I. It sounds magical, somehow," Alexa agreed.

I laughed. "Everything sounds magical to you."

She stood to defend herself. "That's because I believe in magic. And wishes."

"And dreams that come true?" I said, and rolled my eyes.

"Always dreams that come true."

"Good, then it's your night to do the dishes."

"What?"

"My dream come true." I flicked her arm playfully.

Instead of complaining, she only smiled. "You know, Liana, I also believe in witches." She reached behind her on the counter. "Evil witches who chase unsuspecting girls with soapy dish cloths!"

I squealed, barely dodging her. We chased each other, laughing until we
had to get back to work.

Of course, that didn't last long. After a while, I paused to splash some water from the stream on my face. That's when I noticed something glittering in the sunlight. I carefully made my way to the middle of the stream by crossing stepping stones and noticed two small hearts in the water. I called over Alexa.

"What is it?"

"Come here! Oh, watch out for that slippery spot." I took her hand in mine, helping her to where I stood. Her touch lingered even after I let go. "Now look. Two perfect hearts."

They reflected in her earthy green eyes, and her lips parted in awe. "They are perfect. They almost look--"

"Magical?" I offered, smiling at her enthusiasm.

"Precisely."

"I think they look pretty magical, too," I almost whispered, not looking at the stones.

"What if we made them into necklaces?"

"Necklaces that have the secret power to grant--"

"A wish!"

I scooped up the two hearts, placing one in one of Alexa's hands and holding her other.

"Best friends today."

"Tomorrow," I added.

"And always," we said together.

Just then, dark clouds rolled over the horizon, as if the universe was sending us a sign.

Alexa squeezed my hand. "I don't like this, Liana."

I pulled her inside, and the once colorful meadow became shrouded in darkness. I bolted the window and lit a candle, sitting by her on her bed. I then set to work on tying the rose quartz stones into necklaces to pass time.

Alexa eventually lifted her head from my shoulder. "Do you think it'll be over soon?"

"Maybe if you wish on something magical," I said, holding out her completed necklace.

She looked at me. "It's beautiful. I love it." After putting on hers, she asked, "What about yours?"

I showed her mine. "The perfect match."