9 The Diamond Castle

“Melody!” I shouted, knowing she couldn’t hear me.

“Pathetic child,” muttered Lydia, and she threw the broken mirror into the whirlpool. She turned to Alexa, newfound desperation in her eyes. “Give me the flute.”

Alexa instead threw it to me. She reached for the mirror, but it was already swirling near the center of the whirlpool. Sparkles and Lily jumped in and grabbed it, struggling against the current. Eventually, they made their way out of the pool, the mirror in their mouths.

Now that Melody and the dogs were safe, I held Lydia’s flute over the whirlpool. The sorceress lunged, and I dropped it into the water.

Frantically, she swam after it, but was tugged in by the current. Within a few moments, Lydia’s head disappeared beneath the black water and didn’t come up again.

I released a shaky breath. “I can’t believe it. She’s gone.”

“It’s finally over,” said Alexa, pulling me into a hug.

“Everybody alright?” Ian called. We nodded, but our attention was drawn to Melody’s broken mirror, abandoned on the ground.

“There must be some way to bring Melody back,” consoled Ian.

“The Muses’ instruments might do it.” I picked up the mirror and hated to see my fragmented reflection instead of Melody.

“But we don’t have the key to the Diamond Castle,” said Alexa.

“I don’t mean to be a spoilsport, but I don’t see any Diamond Castle,” said Jeremy.

“I believe it’s here.” I spun to face the lake.

“How can you believe what you don’t see?”

“Sometimes what’s real…” I started.

“Is something you can’t see,” said Alexa.

“That’s it! What if Melody’s song is the key?”

She tucked her hand in mine, and we started to sing.

Hidden beneath the ground is the spring that feeds the creek
Invisible as the wind that you feel upon your cheek
And every breeze that whispers reminds us constantly
Sometimes what’s real is something you can’t see…

As we approached the chorus, the sky brightened and turned to day. The water’s surface began to ripple and glimmer.

Believe in all that can be
A miracle starts whenever you dream
Believe and sing from your heart, you’ll see
Your song will hold the key!

The Diamond Castle rose from the depths of the lake, shining far brighter than I ever could have imagined. It practically glowed in the sunlight, serving as a beacon of pure love and joy.

A grand bridge extended from the entrance and touched the lake’s shore. Tentatively, Alexa and I stepped onto it, and it held.

Halfway across, however, a shower of sparkles fell on us and I saw my dress start to warp under the light. My tattered day dress became a shimmering, pink ball gown with orange draping, and my hair fell from its updo in blonde ringlets.

Beside me, Alexa stood in a similar gown, hers in shades of violet. Her skirt reflected the sun in pinks and blues as she spun, evidently in her own little world.

The broken mirror in my hand began to glow and float in front of us, taking the form of a young woman. The light faded and Melody stood before us, her crimson Grecian dress bringing out the red in her hair.