5 Chase

That night in the village, a dragon descended from the sky and landed in front of Edgar's restaurant. A woman dressed in red and black slid off the dragon's back and marched inside.

"I'm looking for two girls," she announced. "One light haired, one dark haired. Did they pass this way?"

Edgar approached. "No idea," he said, motioning for her to leave.

"Really? Memory escapes you, does it?" She smiled, but it didn't reach her cold, green eyes. She raised an intricately carved flute to her lips, and began to play. A green mist enveloped everyone in the tavern, and their eyes turned the same shade as Lydia gained control of their minds.

"Oh, look at all these sad, sad faces," she cooed, circling the room. "So deliciously dreadful. Let's try again, shall we?" She turned to Edgar once more. "Where are the girls?"

"Out back, down the trail," he said in monotone.

.  .  .

"You have to be kidding," I said, kicking a loose piece of gravel.

"No, they were really cute," said Melody, winking.

"Too cute for their own good."

Sparkles whimpered and hid in my basket.

"What is it, girl?" Something definitely didn't feel right. "We better get out of here."

"Why? What's wrong?" said Alexa.

Slyder crashed through the trees and landed, blocking our path. A woman in a dark dress with a darker smile appeared from behind him.

"Lydia," I said, astonished.

"So, you know my name. I wonder who could have told you." She looked at the mirror in my hand.

"Leave them alone," said Melody.

"Ha! Doesn't take much to fool Slyder, I see. Give me the mirror. The mirror, now!"

"I don't think so," said Alexa, stepping in front of me. Oh no.

Lydia shook her head. "Oh, you won't. What will I do?" She pulled out a flute.

"No!" Melody cried.

Too late. Green mist issued from the flute as Lydia played, swirling around us. After it dissipated, Lydia demanded the mirror once more.

"Never!" I yelled.

"What? How on Earth—"

I grabbed Alexa's hand. "Run!"

"Slyder! Get them!"

He was much faster than us, there was no way we could outrun him for long.

Just then, I was lifted off the ground and swept onto the back of a horse.

"Up we go," said the red twin, and I clung to him for dear life. How mortifying.

"Not late, am I?" said another voice behind us. The blue twin lifted up Alexa.

"Not yet," she said. "Go, go, go!"

Slyder flew ahead of us, blocking the path again. The horses leaped over him and continued to gallop straight ahead, where a stone wall covered in ivy lay.

"Watch out," I said, flinching.

"Ye of little faith," Red tsked.

The horses ran through the ivy, and I heard a crash of boulders from behind. There was no way Slyder could follow us now.

Once at a safe distance, we dismounted.

"Wherever did you come from?" I asked.

"Is that how you say 'thank you?'" said Red, feigning to be hurt.