1863

Dear diary,

Today Stefan came clear to me about many things. He told me he was a vampire, that he had been in love with my ancestor who looked just like me and that the love for that one girl, Katherine, was what tore him and Damon apart and turned them into what they are now. Upon hearing that I wanted to run, I wanted to scream and I wanted to shout...or did I? I felt myself getting sucked into his stories and though I was shocked... I couldn't bring myself to leave. All I could do was to ask more questions. I don't know what that says about me but it certainly states something...

Dear diary,

Today Damon hurt Stefan brutally and without mercy. Just as I was beginning to think that Damon could be...more than what I thought he pretended to be...he proved me wrong. Again.

I had walked into their home, wanting to tell them that Bonnie had just made a daylight ring for the freshly turned Caroline, when I suddenly heard them shouting. Damon had driven a piece of wood through Stefan's stomach. I had screamed and yelled at him but he had just taken off in his typical Damon fashion.

I asked Stefan what it was all about and he wanted to tell me the story of why his brother hated him so much. "Katherine is not the first girl Damon and I loved... not the first one that died because of me..."

Turns out Damon and Stefan had a younger sister. Her name was . I could see that it was hard for him to talk about her. When his voice became weak, every word laced with the constant guilt he decided to carry around with him, I told him it was okay to 'skip' over her. I knew he would tell me some other time. I knew that talking about someone you lost hurt. I knew it better than everyone.

Dear diary,

Damon told me the final version of how he and Stefan drifted apart. He was drunk, sad and lonely. I suppose that was the only time when he could bring it over himself to talk about her. To talk about his sister.

I already knew the part where Stefan had selfishly turned Damon into a vampire. Knew that Damon blamed him for Katherine's death and that she had chosen Stephan over him.

I didn't know that the two of them, or rather Damon, always seemed to have
that problem.

1862

The mood in the Salvatore house was definitely damped. Damon, in typical fashion of the young man, had just announced that he would join the military. In the midst of dinner.

These news seemed to enlighten no one but their father, who smiled slightly and spoke out a toast in favor of the bravery of the eldest son. Their fathers wine glass hadn't even touched his lips when a loud smash could be heard. Cecilia had smashed her glass to the ground before getting up and running out of the room. Stephan and Damon had both gotten up to run after their little sister but their father wouldn't allow any more chaos to ensure.

"Let a woman live out her moods. Running after them won't change anything," he had simply said before going back to his meal.

Damon and Stephan complied, unwillingly, and continued to quietly devour their meals in utter silence for the rest of the evening.

"Celia? Celia are you here somewhere?"

The 14-year-old sighed. She should've known that due to the darn small size of their town she wouldn't be provided with privacy. Also, if anyone knew her favorite places it'd be one of her brothers. In this case it was Damon.