Unveiled relations

"Okay, so. The four of you settled in some village in Spain. Cecelia secretly taught some girls how to read and the religious leaders found out and set fire to your house. Cecelia was the only one in it cause you three were out. When you came back you found her daylight ring in the ashes and assumed she was dead. Elijah turned off his humanity because he couldn't handle it and left you two. A decade later you met ripper Stephan in America and then sent Rebekah into a coffin for the next 90 years. Did I miss anything?"

Upon Caroline's summary of Rebekahs retail of their last years with the Salvatore sister, Klaus clapped his hands and whistled.

"Perfectly summarized, Love," he spoke, smiling.

"When did he turn it back on?" Stephan asked, referring to Elijah's humanity.

Klaus eyes twinkled and he leaned forward, staring into Stephan's eyes while he smirked.

"He never did," he declared, smiling.

Damon quickly jumped up.

"Then what the hell is he doing with my sister up there?" he called out, gaze focused on the stairs.

-----------

"I don't understand. Why would you welcome me back with open arms? And this, just now?" Celia spoke, pointing towards the bed while looking into the eyes of the man she loved. Only was she unsure if he still loved her. It was a horrible feeling.

"I wanted to reminisce the old times before I'd leave," he spoke, eyes focusing on her shoulder. He carefully took a strain of her wet hair and placed it over her shoulder.

"Elijah, you swore an oath to me. I know it's been a century, but-"

"The reason I want to leave you behind is that exact oath," Elijah said, interrupting her. Celia furrowed her brows.

"I swore to protect you and I failed miserably," the Original said, his hands coming up to cup Celia's face.

"I'm not talking about that one, Elijah. You couldn't have saved me from what happened. It was too unexpected!" she said, her hands grabbing his sides.

"I'm talking about our wedding oath, my love," the female vampire spoke.

"Don't you remember? Even-"

"Beyond death I will love you" Elijah finished, remembering the day. Their wedding day.

Still, it meant nothing to him.

"Celia, all I feel when I look at you is shame," he stated, his thumbs caressing her cheeks.

Her eyes widened and her mouth fell open.

"You turned it off, didn't you?" she declared, already knowing the answer.

Elijah nodded and leaned his forehead against hers.

"It was the only way to cope," he whispered.

"But there is no need to anymore! I'm back, Elijah! We can be together again!" she said desperately as she grabbed his wrists.

The glint of hopefulness in her eyes would have broken Elijah's heart if he still had one.

"Do you remember what Klaus always used to say?" Elijah asked, his eyes closed as to not look at her.

Celia's hope died down. The man in front of her wasn't the one she loved a century ago. It was foolish of her to think for even a second that things could be the same.

"Caring makes you weak" she recited, gulping as she looked into Elijah's eyes.

"This isn't you, my love," she said, still trying.