Humanity

Having every emotion you suppressed the last 100 years suddenly rain onto you isn't exactly the pleasant experience, so Elijah noticed. As he saw Celia almost get taken from him again he realised that no matter if he was there to protect her or not, things out of his control will always happen. And then suddenly everything washed over him. 

Shock of losing her again. Happiness upon seeing her retrieved. Guilt for having left her after she returned to him. Fear of failure. 

Everything was happening all of once. 

He had run off, desperately trying to shut everything out as he fled into the woods, the moonlight his only companion in the dark night. 

It just wouldn't turn off. Elijah feared that his switch was forever broken. Gone. 

He had ran into the woods until he had come across the waterfalls the town was named after. The Original had fled himself under them, hoping the noise and pressure of the water hitting him would distract him. 

It didn't help though so he just stood there for God knows how long, clutching his head with his hands as the emotions came over him. 

"Elijah!" a voice called out after a while, clear to his superhuman ears even under the water. 

It was her voice. 

Fear washed over him. She shouldn't be here. His humanity was raining over him and his vampire side still tried to fight it. She was the reason he was broken. His vampire side would try to destroy her. 

Elijah turned around and saw her standing by the edge of the water. Upon their eye contact she stepped into the water, walking towards him with normal speed as most of her body got engulfed by the water. 

"Leave!" Elijah called out, using his speed to get to her. Both of them were under the cold surface of the water, Elijah covered until his chest and Celia until her collarbones. 

"You're back," she breathed, locking eyes with him as she moved her hands up to cup his cheeks. 

Elijah sighed at the contact. He had missed her touch so much. Celia also seemed like she was finally able to breath again, the knowledge that the Elijah she knew was getting closer to her healing her. 

"I can see the turmoil in you, my love," she spoke sadly as she closed her eyes. She let her forehead rest against his, having to stand on her toes to do so and he clutched onto her wrists, also closing his eyes. 

"It's gonna be alright Elijah. We'll figure everything out," she continued, speaking softly like she was talking to a wounded animal. 

It would've worked if Elijah hadn't let his eyes wander down her body. The water around them was stained with her blood and her clothes were torn. Her shoulder still had sign of where the bullet went through. 

Guilt washed over him and his vampire side tried to suppress it. He pushed her away and growled at her, teeth fletched. 

"WHY WON'T YOU LEAVE ME ALONE? DO YOU HONESTLY THINK WE CAN BE WHAT WE ONCE WERE?" he screamed, eyes staring through her. 

Celia clenched her jaw and returned Elijah's gaze just as fiercely.

''Guess it's time for the tough love' she thought.