Graduation

I plaster a big smile on my face. The living room is packed with family. Aunts, uncles, cousins I haven't seen in years. A nervous pit grows in my stomach as I descend the stairs in my graduation dress and cap into a sea of camera flashes. My father meets me at the bottom of the stairs, pride emanating from his eyes.

"You look beautiful, Scarlett." He beams. My mother walks over to join us, her features a tad aged as compared to the portrait in my room.

She gives me a kiss on the cheek as another camera goes off, "I'm so proud of you."

The living room is decorated with green and white streamers to signify my old high school colors, and the kitchen is adorned in red and white, my new college colors. I smile at both of my parents and lock myself in a hug between them.

"Thank you for all of your support, guys. I wouldn't have made it without you."

I continue to make my rounds of the guests, who have all gathered to watch me walk across the stage to claim my diploma. Once I'm sure I've spoken with everyone, I stop to admire the pictures on the mantel. All of my pictures have a grad cap sticker on them now. I smile to myself as I look at a picture of when I was five and accidentally cut one of my pigtails off. My lost brown curls in my left hand and my face red as a tomato streaked with tears.

I follow the line of photographs down the mantel. Several of my parents holding me as a baby, as a toddler, as a little girl. My 8th birthday party at the Crayola Factory. My 13th birthday at Hershey Park. My middle school graduation. Our 9th grade field trip to DC. The last picture on the right hurts more than the others. It's from my 16th birthday, just two years ago. My best friend Molly and I are standing on a bridge outside of the banquet hall where we held my sweet sixteen.

Molly is draped in a yellow dress, which compliments her curly blonde hair. She is sticking her tongue out and has an arm wrapped around my shoulders. I'm hugging her back, my left leg popped behind me. I run my fingers over the grad cap sticker that has been placed over my head. I start to pick at it. Slowly at first. It eventually comes loose and I move it over to Molly's head, placing the sticker over her wild head of curls.

My mom comes up behind me, I wipe a tear away that had managed to escape my eyes.

"I'm okay," I tell her. Though I'm not sure if I'm convincing her or myself.

My mom squeezes my shoulder. "She'd be proud of you, too."

I lean into my mother's embrace. My heart sinks knowing Molly won't walk across the stage at graduation. She won't be giddy with joy as we pack for college together. She won't get to hang pictures of us, of our friends, and of our now former classmates on the walls of her dorm. She won't get to study veterinary science like her older sister did. Because two weeks after I turned 16, she disappeared. Out of thin air. Without even so much as a single memory left behind.

The town police searched and searched and searched. But all leads ended at the border of the town. Nothing made it past the line, but it didn't backtrack either. She was out of sight and out of mind.

Her mom took it hard, collapsing into Molly's older sister, Beth. And since the day the case was declared cold, almost a year ago, no one has really heard from Mrs. Gates. I think she may come today, but I don't want to hold my breath. I know she's still hurting.

I shake my head. Clearing my thoughts, but not my sadness. "Let's go. I don't want to be late."

My mom slips her hand into mine and we turn to the room.

"Onward!" My dad says, walking towards the door. He throws it open and the family pours out in hordes. They all get into their cars and head off down the street for the high school.

"After you Ms. College," my mom says closing the door behind me.

I take a step forward. The first of many.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

An empty seat with a gown and a cap. I see it as soon as I arrive on the 50 yard line of the football field. It's covered in daisies. Her favorite flower. Her honor society chords are draped over the back of the chair, reminding me of the stellar student she was. It's positioned in the front of the student section, right next to where the valedictorian will sit, the position she should've had. I can't bear to look anymore. I bow my head and make my way towards my classmates, congregating in the endzone, waiting for the graduation theme.

My parents let me go and join the rest of the family in the viewing seats.

Despite this being one of the first days of the rest of my life, I can't bring myself to focus. The entire ceremony blends together. Our valedictorian gives her speech, offering a moment of silence for Molly. I bow my head and close my eyes, fighting the urge to cry. I hear someone sobbing uncontrollably. I glance up and behind me and see Mrs. Gates. Standing at the back of the crowd, a handkerchief to her eyes. She looks up for a moment and I dart my eyes away.

"Our town, is a community. Where we protect, support, and look out for one another. Though we're all embarking on huge explorations of the outside world, I invite you to think about this town every now and then, and think about the ways you can give back. Congratulations my fellow graduates, we did it!"

Our principal starts to read through names. My eyes glaze over once more.

Time slows.

I hear her laugh, I see her smile. She should be here.

"It's not fair," I whisper.

"What?" Jake Sommers says, next to me.

I break out of my trance for a moment.

"Nothing, sorry."

Jake turns his attention back to the stage. Then, he nudges me. I look up to see him standing.

"We're next."

I smile and stand up.

When our principal says my name, I hear my family go ballistic. I can't help but smile as I cross the stage and accept my diploma. I'm just barely stepping off the stage when a blood curdling scream erupts from the crowd, rattling everyone's bones, turning all of our attention.

Mrs. Gates stands tall, shock written across her face, covered in blood.

Carrying a body.