More

The sun is setting through the trees of the forest. A light flurry is picking up, moving aside for the blizzard to unleash it's rage over our small town. I run towards the sun. 

I'm barefoot, but it's snowing? But I'm not shivering? Or even a little bit cold? 

No, I feel like I'm on f i r e. My chest burns, my cheeks burn, each joint in my foot is a flame as I push on and on, past the blur of trees. Past a herd of deer. My speed disrupts the silence of the forest, but only for a moment. 

But I don't even notice any of it. I don't even feel the twigs snapping under my bare feet. I don't notice the branches cutting through my skin. I don't feel my lungs aching for air. I don't feel my arms grow tired from pumping back and forth. But I feel fear. Fresh, raw, unfiltered fear.  

I push myself. Faster and faster and faster. 

Keep going. 

Don't stop. 

He'll catch you. 

I see a rock formation through the trees. Through the snow. A perfect place to hide. I glance behind me, making sure I've put enough distance between us. He's not behind me. I turn back around and run into the crevaces between the rocks. My yellow dress gets caught on some ragged edges, but I manage to find an alcove big enough to hide in but small enough to not be seen. 

I'm breathing hard and roll into a ball, my hot breathe warming my bare body. My hair falls over my face. Time to regroup. I push my.... blonde?.... hair out of the way..

Wait. Why is my hair blonde? 

Shakily, I bring a hand up to touch a few locks. That's strange. Never mind that, I think to myself. No time to worry about it. I analyze my surroundings. I need something to help me figure out where I am. I need a GPS or a map or a pho-

BUZZ.

A vibration in my pocket causes me to jump. I nearly rip out the blonde lock moving my hand down to find the phone. My hands move quickly and sporadically half due to the cold, half due to absolute and raw terror coursing through my system. I finally find it and stop the buzzing. The silence fills the space once more, cut up only by my ragged breaths. 

Where did you go off to? 

I shiver. Not wanting to respond, I put the phone down and cover my eyes with my face. A few deep breaths. In and out. 

In

and

out. 

I pick up the phone and open the maps app. I'm close to home. I could make it. Before the sun fully sets. I'll be safe. With my mom. I'll be able to sleep well. Finally. 

BUZZ. Another message. 

I will find you...

I shake my head. No, no, no. I have to move fast. With the map pulled up, I slowly crawl through the fresh powder and poke my head out. I scan the forest, draped in a golden glow, it's quiet. 

Too quiet. 

But it's clear. I move to a crouch and slowly inch around the rock in the direction of my house. I push my blonde hair away, again what is up with that, and prepare to bolt. 

I FLY. 

I can see the clearing. It looms on my horizon, my eyes strain to keep it in focus. They tear up due to the stark cold.