6: Perspective Swap

(Jack)

He's just a kid. He really is. I'll be honest, I didn't expect it. But the fear that flashed before his eyes when the first gun went off- it was really fear. Fear for his life. 

"Hey, Zack?" I speak with my ear against the phone as I help one of the cops up. "There was a fire, we need help." 

"Did the Renegade do it?" He asks. 

The Renegade was the name Oli gave the kid. I'm not sure why maybe it was cooler to him to go after someone named 'the Renegade'. Or maybe it was to stray away from the fact that we're hunting a kid. 

"No," I mumble. "Something went off. We didn't even see the kid," I bite my tongue at the lie. I shouldn't even be lying in the first place. But the other cops won't know for sure, they're dumb enough to believe anything we say. 

"Alright, I'll get people to you in a minute," he answers and ends the call. 

"Hey, Barakat!" One of the cops shouts. I walk over to him, quick to put on a cold look. "What the hell happened?"

I shrug. "There must have been a gasoline spill here. Your fucking bullets might have started the fire. You're lucky I stopped it," I spit. 

"The kid-"

"That was a normal kid you were shooting at. Some blond-haired kid, I don't know. Whoever he is, he isn't the Renegade."

The cop nods slowly. "But I thought-"

"Look here, Officer..." I glance at his badge. "Officer Purdy, I'm in charge. I know what I saw. You're hurt, you're probably delirious. I called for help, you can get fixed. But whatever you think you saw, you are wrong," I snap. 

His eyes widen and he nods quickly. "Sorry," he mumbles. 

As he says that, I hear sirens coming closer. "Alright everyone, help is here, be ready. I have to deal with some stuff. Go talk to Detective Zachary Merrick. Tell him I'm following a lead."

They nod and I rush off, pulling my gun out just in case Alex is waiting for me around the corner. Yes. He is a kid.

But he's a kid with powers. 

That shouldn't mean anything. 

I turn and see an empty alleyway. I look around and put the gun away. The place has an eerie feeling, different than the other alley. 

Then, I hear heavy breathing. I stop and crane my head to look left- the source of the breathing. I see a small figure curled up. A small wince echoes in my ears. A small cry of pain. 

"Hello?" I speak softly. The figure flinches and seems to get smaller- curling up even more. "I'm not going to hurt you." I hold my hand out. 

I see the reflection of his eyes from the light. He takes a shaky breath. "Come out. I won't report you, let me help you." 

I feel a hand reach mine. I help him out of the shadowy place and take a good look at him. "Alex?" I whisper.

He gives me a scared look, almost the same look when the gun went off. "W-Who are you?" He says softly. 

"I'm Jack- uh Jack Barakat," I answer. He nods. I glance down and see his other hand pressed on his leg. "Does it hurt?" He gives me a look. "Right, dumb question, uh- Do you feel dizzy?"

He nods. "It's fine, I'll just-"

"Do you have a place to go right now?" 

He gives me another look before shaking his head. "I wouldn't tell you even if I did... You're after me, why aren't you-"

"Barakat?" A voice shouts, echoing down the alleyway. Oli.

"Hide," I whisper. I gently push him to the side. Oli walks over. 

"Did you see him?" He snaps. 

I shake my head. 

He narrows his eyes. "Don't lie to me Barakat," he murmurs. 

"I'm not," I press. He stares at me for the longest thirty seconds I've ever had before shrugging and walking away. 

I turn back and see Alex staring at me. "Thank you," he whispers. 

What am I doing? 

"Alex, I can ask around for a doctor to help you without question, but-"

"No," he sighs and stands up slowly, putting all his weight on his uninjured leg. "I have to go. Thank you," he hurries the other way. 

For some reason, I don't follow. I should. He's wanted. 

Instead, I walk back to the group and eye Officer Purdy. He asks too many questions. That'll get him in trouble with some people in the field. 

"Hey, where'd you go?" Zack asks, running up to me. "I saw Oli go into the alley you just got out of... You find anything?" 

I shake my head slowly. "No."

He gives me a look and nods slowly. "Uh, Andy said you should go home. What you went through was rough, and you need to get some sleep. I'll call if anything happens, I promise."

I can't sleep. 

The thought of Alex being alone scares me for some reason. The shot won't kill him quickly or painlessly. Assuming he's still alive. It's been hours. 

He looked pretty pale from what I saw, and there was a puddle of blood where he was. 

I can't just lay here knowing there is a kid out there, bleeding to death. If he was telling the truth, and really has nowhere to go, he's hiding in desperation. 

I shake my head and sit up. I rub my eyes and click a light on, only to see a single message from Zack.

Zack: Everything is fine Jack. Get some rest.

I let out a soft laugh. He knows I won't be able to rest. We're friends- he's my only friend- of course, he knows that.

If I couldn't sleep in the academy, there's no way in hell I can sleep now. 

I stand up and walk over to the desk, a single file in the center. I sit down and open it, reading over the information about Alex again. 

Tom Gaskarth. 

I reread it closer. 

Resides in Essex... Brother... 

I pick up my phone and dial the number. Is this dumb? Yeah. Am I doing it anyway? 

Yeah. 

"Hello?" The voice says on the other side. 

"Are you Alex's brother?" I ask. This is so dumb.

"Who's asking?" The voice snaps. Interesting. 

"I'm a... Friend," I purse my lips. 

Then, I hear a click. Wait- I look at the phone. He hung up.

Something isn't right. Why would Alex's brother do that? Maybe he knows about Alex and is trying to stay away from it? Maybe that's why he lives so far away. Whatever it is, something's wrong. 

Alex said he was alone. He isn't dumb, he won't go to his parents for help. There were no friends listed. He wasn't close to anyone. 

But with everyone having social media and seeing the wanted posters, he should have been found by now. Since he didn't go invisible, I'm assuming he doesn't have that power.

Unless...

Then it dawns on me. 

He hasn't been found yet, because no one will be able to find him. 

He isn't in the city.