33: Early Gifts

(Alex)

Jack and I walk into the room and see Michael pacing back and forth on the phone. He glances at us and shoots us a quick smile before going back to talking. Luke barges in with a binder and sets it next to another pile. He doesn't even notice us.

Awsten walks into the room, glances at us, and walks into whatever room Luke's in.

"Well, this seems like a bad time," Jack whispers to me. "Should we leave?"

"No, it's fine," Luke says, walking back into the room. "We're working to get you to Japan in a week. We're basically starting from scratch."

Michael gets off the phone. "Okay, so Ashton is going to Japan to check it out. He will get back to us in a day."

"Good," Luke mumbles. He pulls out a document. "So far, Awsten found a boat, but we need someone to make sure it'll work. I'm going to call someone for it."

Awsten sits on the floor and starts typing furiously. "Thank god Patty send me the files," he grumbles. "It would be a lot easier if he were here."

I walk over to him and gently press my hand on his shoulder. He glances at me and manages a watery smile.

Jack goes over to Luke and starts going through binders.

Around two hours later, Luke stands up and walks into a different room. He hands everyone a cup of coffee. "Thank you for this. We're done for today."

Jack walks over to me and presses his lips to mine. "Nice job," he whispers.

I roll my eyes. "I have to thank you for all of this."

Luke grins. "It's our job."

"Yeah but, this is still a lot of work. I'm extremely thankful for all this."

"Of course," Michael says. "As sad as it'll be when you leave, it sits better when we know you're safe."

Jack wraps his arm over my shoulders. "See?" He whispers.

"I'll miss all of you," I mumble.

~~~

We walk back into the house. Kellin and Vic sit up. Jack brings me to the other couch. "How was business?" Kellin asks. He's leaning against Vic.

"We're finding a different way," I speak up. Jack kisses my temple. "The original plan won't work so... We're- I'm going somewhere else."

"When?" Vic asks softly.

"In a week... At most."

Kellin shrinks against Vic. "You're leaving?" I nod. "You know... Even though the second I met you, you completely flipped my life around, you've been making a lot of things better."

Vic grabs Kellin's hand.

"I'm going to miss you," Kellin admits. "Will you ever be able to come back?"

I shake my head. "Unless everyone accepts my... Abilities. No. I'm most likely going to stay in hiding forever. But I'll have more freedom than I have here."

"That's good," Vic says. "It'll suck. But it's for the best."

I let out a soft yawn and lean against Jack. "Are you tired, Lex?" he whispers. I nod. "We both had a really long day. I think we're going to check out."

"Goodnight lovebirds," Kellin yells as Jack helps me up.

"Says you," Jack yells back as we walk into the bedroom.

I sit down as he pulls on some sweats. "Are you going to change?" He asks. "I'm pretty sure sleeping in skinny jeans in uncomfortable."

"Can you do it for me?" I give him a look. He laughs.

"Really?" He opens the drawer. "Alright then." He pulls out some clothes. He sets them beside me and slowly trails his fingers up my leg and to the hem of my shirt. He lifts it off my body and smiles at me.

"You're staring."

"I know," he mumbles. He leans down and kisses my stomach. All of the bruises and cuts are gone. "But can you blame me?" He kisses my chest.

I let out a soft laugh. He grabs the hoodie and puts it on me. He slowly begins to pull the jeans off me. I take the chance and kiss his neck. He lets out a gasp.

He puts the sweatpants on me before gently moving me and laying me down. He presses kisses to my neck. "I love you so much, Lex."

"I love you more."

"That's impossible."

He pulls away and sits next to me. I sit up, crossing my legs. He pulls his necklace off his neck. "You know, I got this a long time ago," he starts. He leans towards me and hangs it around my neck. "Think of it as an early birthday gift," he whispers and kisses me.

"Jack, I can't take this-"

He cradles my face in his hands. "Yes, you can."

I smile at him. "I love you." I start to lay down. He lays next to me and traces his fingers along my arm.

"I love you too."

~~~

Jack and I wake up and move to the living room. He pulls me onto his lap and peppers my face with soft kisses.

Kellin walks in and laughs. "You two make me want to throw up, but in a good way."

"How can that be a good thing?" I ask.

He rolls his eyes. "I'm going to get V-"

There's a sudden knock at the door. "POLICE, OPEN UP."

I jump and Jack glances at me. Kellin's eyes widen and he runs to the bedroom, calling Vic. Jack grabs my arm and drags me into the room. He shuts the door and locks it. "Go through the window or something," he whispers roughly. "Get out of here."

"I can't leave you-" I gasp. He shoves me towards the window.

"You have to. I can't go with you." I give him a look. "Look, you promised me-"

I hold my hands up and he stops. "I said I would go to Japan. I never said I would leave like this."

"I already told you Alex. I need you to be safe. You have to go before they find you."

"Jack-"

I flinch as a gun goes off. I hear a scream. "VIC."

Jack glances behind him. "Alex, go," he whisper-shouts. "Go to Luke and Michael." He opens the window. He pulls me towards it. I shake my head. "Fine, I'll go with you. Just climb through."

I stare at him. "Do you promise?"

He nods.

I climb through the window and turn. Instead of him climbing out after me, he slams the window closed and locks it. He turns around and the door breaks down. I gasp as one of the guys shoots. Jack hits the window and falls down. His blood splattered on the glass.

I suppress a cry as I run out of the area, towards the alley.

He's dead. He's dead. He's dead.

I killed him.

I gasp and wake up. Jack is asleep in bed beside me. He's going to die. I watched him die. I get out of bed and grab a pen and paper.

I can't let him die.