27. Back Home

When the last month of pregnancy came, I took a month off of school. It was close to when school would be getting out anyways and there was a kind substitute stepping in for me. The month gave me time to rest and return to Avonlea for a short period of time so the baby could be raised in Avonlea while I was away in Toronto. I didn't want to put any more strain on Buhle. She already had enough on her plate.

So there I was on the train, holding my bulging stomach. I was close. Very close and I was nervous. There was a chance I could die like my mother. I didn't want to die. Not when my entire life with Bash was ahead of me.

At the train station I needed to be at, I got off. I carried my suitcase in my hands as I breathed in the air I loved so much. Though the moment was stolen when I was tackled in a hug. I hesitated to hug them back but I recognized the smell as Bash, the love of my life and the love of my life. Grinning, I hugged him back.

Bash pulled away, grabbing my face. "Oh, Aria, you are as beautiful as ever. I can't believe you're back in my arms. And you're pregnant! That's wonderful!"

I placed my hands on his cheeks. "I know, love. We're going to be parents, Bash."

Bash tucked a piece behind my ear. "I want a little girl and raise her to be just like you."

I smiled but thought for a moment "Where's Gilbert?"

"Over here," his voice budded in. "It's good to see you again, sis."

"Gilbert!" I flung my arms out. "Come here! You've grown up so much!"

Gilbert pulled me in. "No, I haven't, and it's only been a few months at most since we've last seen each other. Besides, a lot has happened since then which I need to update you on."

I pulled away, taking his hand with one of my own and a bag with another. "I want to hear all of it over a cup of tea. Let's go home, dear boys. There's a lot to know and a lot to tell. Come along."

"You've grown into your teacher role well, Mrs. Lacroix," Bash commented as Gilbert led me to the carriage.

"I try too, Mr. Lacroix," I retorted. "It's almost as if it's my job."

Gilbert helped me into the seat. "We certainly missed your sharp tongue."

"You loved it," I shot back. "Besides, I can't exactly be sassy and sharp with the children. I have to get it all out while I'm here."

Bash hugged me as he got in the driver's seat. "You better not be sassy with our child."

"It has to learn it somewhere and you're not exactly the sassiest," I shot back.

"You two are going to be the greatest parents," Gilbert commented sarcastically.

"Or it'll learn it from him," Bash said. "Both options are terrible."

I grinned, glad to be back with my boys. As we drove, I took Bash's hand in mine and placed it in my lap. We got home and I was helped inside. The guys took my bags into my room while I sat on the couch to rest. I was only there for a minute or two before Bash came to sit beside me.

"How have you been, my love?" Bash asked.

I took his hand. "Well thought I'm glad to be home with you and Gilbert. How have you been?"

"I missed you a lot," Bash replied. "You were gone for so long and the letters were never enough."

I rested my head on his shoulder. "I missed you too. So did our baby."

Bash placed a hand on my stomach. "I missed the precious angel too. When are you due?"

I placed a hand on his shoulder. "Very soon. I can't wait but I don't want to die."

Bash rubbed my stomach. "You're not going to die, Aria."

"How do you know?" I asked. "How do you know I'm not going to end up like my mother and this child won't grow up without a mother?"

"Because I just know." Bash pulled me in to assure me. "You're going to be fine, Aria, I know it."

I brushed my hair back. "I sure hope you're right."

Gilbert came in and we started talking about life in general. Gilbert and Anne had made it official over college. Gilbert was planning on proposing soon and I urged him to do it. He and Anne were meant to be together. Everyone knew it.

When we finished talking, we decided to have a light dinner. I helped set the table and poured drinks. When dinner was finished, we sat down to eat. It was comforting to be with my boys again. They were the best to be with and never failed to make me laugh.