Chapter Fifteen:Taylor-In Which Flying is Done

Taylor was pacing. He wasn't even sure why he was pacing, it just seemed like the best thing to do. He's barely met Lexi, but he had decided that he wanted to be friends for life. After what had happened in Canada...He's been lonely and Lexi was a breath of fresh, bossy, anxious air. He could clearly see them being close, real close. He was sure they were already best friends in some future universe.

Only now she was on a suicide mission and he was all alone. She could be dead already. He glanced at Diana and Corduroy sitting in the circle, their glazed eyes locked on the doorway. Their strained expressions would ease and then tighten as the door pulsed and wavered.

Allison was on her phone again, texting like mad. Taylor shuffled over to offer her some fries, but just then, Diana screamed.

Her back was arched, every muscle, every tendon strained visibly as sweat and tears poured down her face. Allison dropped her phone and ran to the circle, stopping at the edge. She hesitated, quivering. Only then did Taylor notice Corduroy, slumped on his side. His spell circles fading. Diana's scream dropped to a guttural moan. With gritted teeth, she turned to Allison.

"He needs a healer now. I'm going to drop the door soon and if I do, who knows if Lexi'll ever get out, if that brat's still alive. Oh, and-ugh-the both of us will probably die." Allison turned to the door, then Diana again.

"But this whole thing is a secret, I'm in charge and-"

"Go-"Diana's whole body shuddered and the door flickered in and out of existence. She coughed. Pink liquid seeped from between her pressed lips. "Go now." Allison made again as if to leave and then started at Taylor.

With a shove, she said, "Go to D22 on the third floor. Get the healer. If they're not there, their lab is D36, next hallway. Run, and don't tell anyone."

Taylor nodded and dashed out into the hallway, skidding to a stop when he reached the staircase and elevator. After seconds of hesitation, he vaulted over the railing overlooking the stair landing. Before he hit the floor, he squeezed his eyes shut and held his breath. Kicking off the wall, he shot down the rest of the stairwell at a controlled fall.

When he reached the third floor landing, he kicked off the wall again. It was a sloppy kick, and he slammed bodily into the floor before regaining his senses and flying down the hallway again.

16...18...20...

He shot out his arm and yanked open the door to D22. Once inside he dropped like a stone. He felt the usual backlash of overexerting his power, crippling weight, leaden limbs, the works. He dropped into a crouch and looked around for the Healer.

They were sitting on their bed looking startled. Their pink hair was curly and shaved except on the top. They were wearing overalls and a long-sleeved, striped shirt. Long, spindly fingers clutched their gauges.

Taylor gave a little wave.

"What the actual fuck?"

Taylor tried to grin and failed. "Me. I'm Taylor and you're the Healer." He stood carefully and didn't wait for a response. "Allison needs you to do some ASAP healing, like, right now, but don't tell anyone about it" He stood up, and stumbled to Corey's bed, steadying himself from the head rush. "I'm just gonna...Fly you." He reached out and grabbed their hand.

"Now hold up, I don't even-ah." Corey stopped talking as soon as Taylor rose them both. The dizzy, heavy feeling vanished as usual when he activated the Lihe. He stretched his mind, enveloping Corey as he kicked off the bedframe and back out the door, still towing the Healer.

He concentrated and gained speed, forcing his personal center of gravity to move drastically at every turn, shooting back up the stairs and nearing the BR door. Suddenly, with a sickening crunch, Taylor collided with the door.

Glossary (in alphabetical order):

lol nope

If you enjoyed the chapter, please vote, comment, follow~