Crossing a Bridge

SMUT SMUT SMUT

Tell me what you think! - Allie

.

The Wind Valley was the deepest and largest valley between the North and the South. Travellers would usually choose to avoid this bad route by going through the populous towns and cities; otherwise, the only way to travel from Isolde to Theros was to cross the rope bridge spanning over the valley. It was the oldest bridge in the land built entirely of rope and thin planks of wood which were dangerously few and far between. It took a significant amount of time to cross it and could not hold more than the weight of two persons. Harry had crossed it twice, but the second time had felt no different from the first, so he feared Reyna wouldn't dare to step on it let alone cross it with him.

They stood on the cliff, holding their breath and watching the bridge swung from side to side like it was about to flip over or just break on its own. The blustery wind was howling like a wild beast as it blew dust and dry leaves everywhere, whirling around them, creating a scene of madness as if threatening to swallow them whole. People said if you fell into the bottomless abyss below would you'd be falling straight to hell, and that thought had haunted Harry since he was a child.

He couldn't tell Reyna that story for he didn't want to scare her, but he didn't have to as he could already sense her fear. She chewed on her lip, her chest was heaving up and down as he reached for her hand, but her hands squeezed into fists and she pulled away quickly.

She hadn't spoken to him since they left the cottage in the woods, and it had been three days. Three days of them acting like strangers who were forced to travel together. Never had he been in a situation where he couldn't come up with anything to say. She only asked and answered questions when she must, and it was killing him.

"I'll go first to make sure it's safe, then Thunder and Lightning, and you'll go last."

"Why do I have to go last?" she asked him, her face contorted. He wasn't sure if she was offended or afraid or just simply angry at him. All could be true, but he didn't dare to ask.

"If all three of us have crossed safely then you'll be safe too," he said.

She rolled her eyes and looked away, thinking for a moment. "Why don't we let the horses go first? Thunder, and then Lightning, then you and me together."

"Okay." Harry pressed his lips into a smile which Reyna completely ignored. She turned back to Thunder, giving him a tight hug and whispering to him that everything would be okay even though Thunder seemed braver than both of them combined. Harry guessed the horse had gone through worse and this kind of danger didn't scare him anymore, or maybe he was scared but didn't want to let it show and make Reyna upset. It was one thing Thunder and Harry had in common. They would risk their lives for the same girl.

Thunder carefully stepped on the bridge, taking some time to make sure it was secured before he continued. He made it seem so easy and managed to get to the other side in no longer than ten minutes. Lightning, however, struggled a bit more. Harry and Reyna had to hold their breath while watching the poor horse trying to keep her balance on the wobbling bridge. Thankfully, she still got there unharmed.

"Take my hand," Harry said, and Reyna wasted no time to intertwine her fingers with his. She clutched the strap of her satchel and gave a nod to let him know she was ready.

They started off slow with small cautious steps. She was gripping his hand, her knuckles turned white but he was too anxious to feel any pain at this point. He could have been bruised and bleeding and wouldn't have even noticed, for one wrong step could end their lives.