city of stars, are you shining just for me?

Febufluff Days 15, 16, 17, & 18 – Box of Candy & Teddy Bear & Missing You & Friday Night Ride

*

It's been three months.

Three of the longest months of Harley's life.

Peter's been away on a mission for literally twelve weeks with a few Avengers in Russia of all places. Like halfway around the world from Harley's who's alone in the penthouse of the tower, alone and miserable.

There's no reason a mission should take this long, but Harley's isn't worried. He gets short texts from Peter every day or two, letting him know that he's alright and that he'll be home as soon as he can.

But the bed stays cold at his side, and the gifts wrapped under his bed stay untouched because Peter missed Valentine's Day. And Harley's just downright miserable.

He would never admit to anybody that he's a lovesick sap, but he is.

He's sappy and he's a romantic and he just really loves Peter.

Sleeping doesn't come as easy when Peter's not in his arms, the world duller when the light of his life is away. It's probably stupid and he's just a tad bit overly dependent.

But sue him. Peter's been on this stupid mission for three fucking months and Harley just misses his boyfriend, is that so crazy?

He curls up in their bed, deliberatey on Peter's side, trying his best to ignore the way Peter's pillow smells more like Harley than the hero.

"Harley, c'mon," Pepper says from his doorway. Morgan's standing behind her, a book clutched to her chest. She's nine now, getting older by the very day. "Peter's fine, you know that."

No nonesense Pepper today. Sometimes he gets this Pepper, sometimes he gets soothing Pepper sitting at the edge of his bed and pushing his hair back and murmuring how she worries about Tony being out there too.

"Miss him," Harley says, words muffled by Peter's pillow. He knows he probably sounds like a child, pouting and cheeks flushed and eyes watery.

Morgan reaches a hand out towards him. "C'mon, we can watch Harry Potter and have juice pops?"

"No juice pops before breakfact," Pepper says out of instinct, but she still looks expectantly at Harley.

Normally, watching Harry Potter was the easiest way to get Harley to cheer up, but now all it does is remind him more of his boyfriend, halfway across the world, probably hurt from some self-sacrificial play in the battlefield with Tony reprimanding him. Maybe missing Harley just as miss as vice versa.

And like Peter knew, his phone lights up by his head.

Hi, love. Finishing up soon, I swear. Be home before you know it. Love you and miss you.

Harley types out a half-assed response with just a few words, adding a couple hearts so it comes off as less passive aggressive, but he's just tired of worrying day in and day out about his boyfriend.

Peter's a superhero, and Harley gets that. He does.

It doesn't make it easier though. It doesn't make it easier when he has to wait up until the early hours of morning for Peter to come stumbling through the window into their bedroom, pulling his mask off to reveal cuts and bruises. It doesn't make it easier when he has to patch Peter up nearly every day, stitches or bandages or carrying him down to medical. It doesn't make it easy, not when he knows the truth about heroes' lifespans. About how Tony's just an exception, most heroes don't make it more than a few years. Something will knock them down for good.