diamonds are forever, but i've got something better

Day 27 & 28 - Teasing & First Date

*

Peter was a little bit too excited.

Ever since he found out about Tony meeting a genius kid in Tennessee years prior, Peter tracked him down and started talking to him over texts and social media. They got really close despite having never met, similar in age and in IQ, in life stories and in knowing Tony, it was easy to make conversation.

And now, Harley's official flying up to New York to take Peter on a date, to meet for the first time since they started talking nearly a year and a half earlier, since Peter was fifteen.

Tony knows about it, knows way too much from Peter's rambling conversations and occasionally screenshotting texts from Harley and sending them to Tony. They were always really cute, playfully flirting on each other's social media, and it took over the media quicker than anybody could anticipate.

Peter was well known as The Intern, the quirky kid who somehow worked as Tony Stark's personal intern at fifteen years old, now seventeen, easily winning the public's affection with his silly tweets and his endearing personality, not to mention the pictures he took of Tony being a good person, just to prove it.

But when Harley started showing up in all Peter's tweets and Instagram comments and even on his Snapchat story, the public started showing Harley some unwelcome attention until Tony made the public statement that he did know Harley.

And now, the media is obsessed with Harley and Peter.

"You're not, you know, worried about your relationship being exploited like this?" Tony had asked when both Peter and Harley's follower count had skyrocketed.

Peter had grinned, already working on a Tweet directed at Harley, "Course not. They only get to see the things we want them to see. Plus, it's fun."

And now, Harley and Peter are finally meeting after eighteen months of only talking online.

"Could you relax?" Tony says, lifting his eyebrows as Peter's leg bounces under the lab bench and his fingers tap incessantly on the table. "You're making me nervous."

Peter looks up from his homework, corners of his eyes crinkling as he lights up in a smile. "I'm just so excited! We're actually finally meeting! The closest thing we've done so far is photoshop us into pictures together."

Tony rolls his eyes fondly, shaking his head. "He hasn't even boarded the plane yet, kid, just relax. He'll be here late."

"I know, I'm just too excited! I barely slept last night-" Peter's voice is cut off by his ringing phone. "It's Harley! I gotta take this!"

Tony rolls his eyes again, turning back to his own work.

"Hey, I'm at the airport," Harley says with barely contained elation. "I've still got a bit before boarding, but I wanted to call you before I left."

"I'm so excited!" Peter says for probably the thousandth time, voice lifting high and happy.

Peter can practically hear Harley's smile. "Me too. I should've found an excuse to fly up sooner, but between college applications and extra credits and the job I'm working... Yeah, it's just been kinda crazy."

Harley works with his mom at the diner now that his little sister is old enough to stay home alone. It helps to bring in the extra cash, especially with Harley in his last year of high school.

"Yeah, of course, and I'm sorry I couldn't fly down and see you, just between Spider-Man and school..." Peter doesn't say that he's scared of planes, but Harley already knows that.