just for a moment in love

Day 23-26 - Secret Admirer, Love Triangle, Confessions, and Forbidden

{Parkner & Minor Thompsborn} 

*

It's a month into the school year when all the drama of the summer finally catches up to him.

Peter sighs loudly like he's purposefully trying to get May's attention for his sullen behaviour. He even collapses onto the couch dramatically, arm tossed over his eyes, and sighs again.

May laughs, soft and gentle as she moves around the kitchen behind him. "Not that I'm laughing at you, honey, but what's up with you? Something happen? Does it have anything to do with why I haven't seen Harley around here for weeks?"

Sighing again, Peter tries his best not to let the heartache return. "Yeah... We broke up last month. Before I left."

There's a gasp in the kitchen followed by a crash as she drops a pan on the counter, and then she's sitting down on the couch by his feet.

"You broke up? Oh, honey, what happened?"

"I told him I loved him," Peter explains quietly, huffing out a third sigh. "And he said okay and then he left. And then I had to leave and I didn't have Wi-Fi at the camp, so I couldn't even try to figure out what happened."

Peter had this fancy Nerd Camp over the summer, Tony signed him up for. It was incredible and Peter had a lot of fun, he learned a lot, but it was hard to focus with Harley weighing on his mind.

Not to mention Flash had been there.

"He just left?"

"Yeah. He didn't even tell me why. If he didn't love me or if something was up or if I did something... I don't know. He just walked out, said it would be better if we called it quits before I left for three weeks."

May offers a sympathetic smile, rubbing his ankle. "I'm guessing there's more to this story?"

Sighing again, Peter finally lifts his arm from over his eyes, looking over at May. "Yes... I may or may not have started seeing somebody new."

May's head tips to the side, eyes hardening. "You're seeing somebody new? One month after your three-year-relationship ended?"

"Flash was at camp with me and he was, you know, nice. He made sure I was doing alright, and he was being a good guy, so I kinda just jumped on new opportunities."

"And, what? You're regretting it? You still miss Harley? You realized it was impossible to throw a three-year relationship down the drain for a new guy who's been kinda mean to you for years?"

Peter rolls his eyes, knowing she's right. More right than he'd like to admit, but he doesn't want to want Harley anymore. Harley broke his heart.

He laid everything out on the line with the big L-word and Harley broke up with him for it. Peter would've been fine had Harley just explained.

"I like him," Peter argues. "Flash is a good guy."

May doesn't make the obvious statement of but not as good as Harley. Instead, she says, "Good for you, but don't throw away a twelve-year friendship over this, alright? You were best friends before you ever started dating. Try to sort this out, okay?"

Peter reaches for his phone, prepared to text Harley already, see if he wants to talk, but his pockets are empty, phone missing.

He assumes he left it in his bedroom or maybe in his bag, and instead curls up against May's side and letting her pick the movie.