Part 6

A ringing came from underneath the covers.

'Mal can you please answer your phone already, it's disrupting my beauty sleep' Evie turned away, now facing the closet.

Mal squinted her eyes looking into the blue light 'It's just Ben'

'Can you just answer him already?'

'But I don't want to' Mal attempted to snuggle back into Evie

'I'm not going to let you cuddle with me until you answer the phone' Evie told her sternly.

But Evie didn't want her to pick up, she just hated Ben's persistence, why couldn't he leave her alone for a few hours to cool off. Evie knew she couldn't provide Mal with a luxurious life, full of impressive outings and extravagant presents. A life with her would be simple yet full of so much more love. She wouldn't be able to compete with Ben ever, he had nothing to lose whereas Evie could lose everything.

Mal answered the call, she felt kind of guilty when she pressed the green button. She was in bed with Evie, her true love, answering the phone to her real partner. It wasn't fair on either of them really. She could sense Evie's heart-breaking as she picked up the phone, or any moment before that. Evie always got hurt. Whereas Ben, Ben was oblivious, he cared more about how the public perceived them, he didn't care much about her past, her roots. Evie had lived through the hard times with her, hand in hand, she knew Mal inside out, the good and the bad.

'Mal I've been trying to get in touch with you all afternoon'

'It's only 3pm Ben, calm down'

'I'm calm Mal, can you meet me in an hour at my office please'

'I told you before, I-'

'One hour my office, see you then'

Ben hung up the phone. Mal could tell he was irritated with her. She didn't want to get out of bed. She wanted to stay with Evie, but she couldn't keep blowing Ben off.

'So, are you going to meet him then?' Evie asked, Mal couldn't tell how Evie was feeling, there was no expression in her voice.

'I guess I have to, I can't ignore him forever, especially when he's the King of Bauradon'

Evie sat up to face Mal, 'It's okay, I understand, you better go get changed, maybe into something a little cuter?'

Mal tightly grabbed a hold of Evie's hands 'Evie it's not a date, it's just a meeting' trying to reassure Evie and herself at the same time.

'Anyways I've got to go drop off my chemistry assignment before I get an F'

'You, Evie, get an F, that's impossible' Mal chuckled.      

'And I can't go wearing this because people expect me to wear something a lot more flattering' She looked down at her Isle outfit.

Evie loosened the grasp between the girl's hands and headed towards her ginormous closet. Picking out a royal blue dress, with a subtle red belt across the waist. She headed towards the bathroom.

'I'll see you later Moors' She gave a subtle smile as she locked the door.

Mal knew she loved Evie, her heart yearned for Evie, to have a life with her.

But she knew it was just a dream, a wish, a hope.

She walked over to the shelving unit, and picked up a pair of beige high heels, she really felt like a basic Auradon prep girl in these, but Ben bought her them when they visited Ariel and Eric. She scoffed; he really didn't know the real her. He knew someone else someone of his class, someone with the same upbringing, Mal had none of that, she didn't want any of that.

Yet she kept the act up, she slipped into the pale pink dress, the sleeves were puffy and short. There was no pattern, just little frills at the bottom that hit her knees. She put on the 2-inch heels and grabbed the white miniature handbag from the coat hook. She could barely fit her phone in the bag. What was the point in having a handbag if you can't fit anything into it?

Mal quickly brushed her hair through and tied it into a loose pony, leaving two side pieces which wrapped around her face. She pouted at the mirror, adding a little bit of lip gloss to her lips.

Just as she was about to leave, she remembered the girl in the bathroom 'E, I got to go. I'll be home soon'

A shout came from the bathroom, 'Love you'

'Love you too' Mal left the room and was immediately greeted by Jay. She carried on walking down the hallway, Jay stuck to her side.

'So, how's your girl doing?' Jay smirked and barged into her shoulder.

'None of your business' Mal rolled her eyes.

'So, where you heading to?'

'Ben' Mals eyes darted toward the floor.

'Don't do it' Jay told her, putting an arm around her shoulder.

'Do what?' She looked up at Jay, it was almost a hopeful look. Mal thought highly of Jay, he had grown a lot since the Isle. He was now Captain of the tourney team and he managed to keep the past, unlike her.

'I know what you were planning on doing.' He paused in his tracks, causing Mal to halt. 'The walls are very thin, I heard you and Evie last night... I thought it was best to leave you two alone to work things out.'

From previous experience this was the best thing Jay could have done. On the Isle, occasionally Mal or Evie would just breakdown. It all got too much for them but no matter how hard Jay and Carlos tried it was easier to leave them to each other. They eventually made up or got over whatever happened.

He pulled Mal to the side 'I just think maybe you should just slowly wean off Ben, ask to go to less meetings or something... I don't know I'm not good at this sort of stuff'

'It doesn't feel right Jay' Mals eyes faced the floor, she didn't want to see Jays reaction.

She felt kind of weak. Back on the Isle she was in control, of everything and everyone. She never really shared her feelings with anyone, other than Evie (on the odd occasion), she didn't let guilt get the better of her.

'It will be hard, but you can do it, I believe in you and I know that sounds really cheesy. Also, he is the king, he could have literally anyone'

Mal gasped 'Do you think I'm that easy to get over?'

Jay nodded with a smirk across his face, Mal gave him a dig in the arm.

'Well I have got to go to my meeting, wish me luck' Mal crossed her fingers as she turned away from Jay.

'Just don't do anything stupid. Okay?' Jay asked as he watched her strut away.

'Bye Jay' She shouted waving her hand behind her back.