Chapter Thirty: Waiting and Wondering

The Great Hall of Caer Dathyl was aptly named; it was cavernous and splendid, and managed to be grand even when it was full of the noise and mess of a hundred feasting warriors - which it was, just now. Torches blazed along the walls and in the sconces of great hanging braziers. Tapestries three times taller than a man covered the walls, between swords and shields hung in crisscrossed patterns. Banners embroidered with the emblems of every cantrev in Prydain swung lazily from enormous rafters far above. Golden rushes covered the floor.

Gwydion escorted Eilonwy toward a long table, where a familiar spiky yellow head bobbed, over a body whose long arms were gesticulating wildly to accompany the tale their owner was telling. She got there in time to hear the men around him erupt into roars of laughter, which was quickly hushed when Gwydion appeared at the table's head. As one, every man leapt to his feet, bowed to the prince, and remained standing. Fflewddur scrambled out of the crowd, beaming, and Eilonwy ran to the lanky bard and threw her arms around him.

"Well, well!" He was laughing, squeezing her in an answering embrace. "So, it seems we're all in one piece, eh?" He laid his hands on her shoulders and held her out at arm's length to look her over. He was clean and shaved; his patchwork threadbare garments had been replaced with the sturdy and unpretentious garb of a warrior. "Some of us in better-turned-out pieces than others. How does it feel to be dressed like a princess again?"

"Again?" She laughed. "I never was before. And to be quite honest..." she hesitated, glanced around, and leaned toward him to whisper, "I feel like a pudding poured into its skin. It's dreadful."

Fflewddur's head rocked back in a peal of laughter, and just as she registered his use of her title, there were excited yelps behind her. She whirled around. Gurgi was capering toward her, his head wrapped in a bandage, his forward progress impeded slightly by his tendency to pause and turn in excited circles the closer he got. Laughing, she opened her arms to him and he leapt into them. "Oh, joyful morning!" he cried. "Gurgi thought he would never see his friends again! And here is the noble lady well and whole! And see what feastings and heapings are laid on the tables. Gurgi has never known such crunchings and munchings. He has had his fill at last!"

Over his curly, coarsely-furred head Eilonwy saw the tip of a red cap. She straightened up as Doli stepped into view, his red eyes twinkling over something that just might pass for a rusty, long-disused smille. Then, to her utter shock, he swept his cap off and bowed to her, rose and held out a very square, stubby hand. She took it, blushing in embarrassment. "A good morning to you, my Lady," the dwarf said gruffly, "and a salute." He winked. "I hope you can forgive an old fellow his foolishness."

"Of course," she stammered, growing increasingly conscious of being the center of attention. Even the assembled warriors, all of them still standing, were watching the reunion with interest and amusement, and she felt the curious gaze of many, many pairs of eyes. Memories of men's faces, leering from the tables in the Great Hall of Spiral Castle, pushed themselves into her mind and she leaned unconsciously into Fflewddur, who laid a protective arm about her shoulders.

"Courage, dearest," he whispered. "These are all friends. They are standing for you, you know."

She blinked, and looked again through the faces. She saw--and felt--curiosity, yes, but also respect, reverence, wonderment...even a wistful sense of paternal affection, as though some were thinking of their daughters. There was no ugliness, no hint of the nameless dark threat she had sensed from most of Achren's guards. Eilonwy relaxed, and stood up straight. Gwydion, returning from a conference with another page, appeared at her other side.

"Taran is resting in the north hall," he informed her, with what could only be described as a grin, his sharp canines flashing. "If you are satisfied with our care of these--" he nodded at her trio of beaming companions --"perhaps you'd like to examine his progress now."