flowers

For a few seconds after she wakes up, Agatha has no idea where she is.

She stares blearily at an ornate mirror, wondering when she'd got one. Or velvet curtains. Or a chandelier. Or--

Agatha turns her head, and finds Dot's face an inch from hers. She jumps so hard she cracks her elbow on the headboard.

Oh, right.

Camelot.

"Ow-- Dot, what the hell?"

"Sorry!" Peeps Dot. "Queen Vanessa says we're not to touch you without warning you!"

"You could have said something, instead of just staring at her." comes Beatrix's voice from behind her.

"What are you doing here?" says Agatha blearily.

Dot frowns.

"Don't you have maids in Gavaldon?"

"I have... Callis." says Agatha vaguely. "And Sophie."

"Well, yeah, but don't you have other personal servants?"

"Er... no. My mother prefers my household to be... restricted."

"Cause people can't touch you, much?"

"Something like that." mutters Agatha. The real answer is so that there's less chance of people finding out about her talent, and why she wears the veil.

Dot looks a little suspicious, but her face soon clears.

"Well, here, the King and Queen both have personal servants, which means we prep you every morning!"

The look on Agatha's face must betray her horror, but Beatrix just laughs.

"Not on the same level as yesterday. We just help you dress, go over your schedule, and things like that."

Agatha tries not to look too hostile. Callis usually did that.

"Right." she says, sliding out of bed and onto the plush rug. "What am I doing today?"

"Wedding planning!" chorus Dot and Beatrix enthusiastically.

Agatha looks at their beaming faces.

"...I see."

---

Whilst they're off choosing her an outfit, Agatha takes the opportunity to have a good snoop around her bedroom. She'd been too tired to bother last night. Now, she can see how ornate it is. Velvet hangings and carved oak wood and gilded mirrors. She's even got a vanity. She'd never bothered with one of them before, especially not one with a marble tabletop.

She wanders over to peer out one of the many high windows, and finds herself staring at acres of forest. She must be facing south, because she'd seen the gardens when they'd come in through the North Gate; huge and manicured, filled with bushes and crystalline lakes. She can't see any water from here, save the river running through the woods.

She watches a fox skirt the perimeter of a clearing, for a while, until she hears Dot and Beatrix returning--

There's a familiar hiss, and Agatha looks down to see a pair of yellow eyes staring at her from under the bed.

Agatha grins. Nice to see a familiar face.

"Hi, Reaper."

It appears someone had remembered to bring him here, after all. Probably Callis.

Reaper leaps up onto the windowsill for some attention, knocking a fancy pot onto the floor. He's got a mouse clamped in his jaws.

"Clever Reap," says Agatha appreciatively, scratching his wrinkly ears. "Resuming your role as Royal Mouser, eh?"