suspicions

"I don't understand Agatha." mutters Tedros, sitting cross-legged on his bed in his undershirt. "I don't understand a thing about her."

Beatrix bites her tongue from where she and Dot are tidying the vanity.

"Like what?" she asks tentatively.

Tedros scratches at a stain on one of his gloves. Beatrix can't help but think that, sitting sulking on his bed, as barefoot and dishevelled as he is, he looks his age. Maybe even younger.

"Where do you want me to start? The veil? The gloves? The terrible relationship with her mother? Her... cousin?"

"Odd choice to bring a cousin with her, don't you think?" asks Beatrix innocently.

Tedros shoots her an irritated look.

"Bea, I'm not completely stupid. Sophie has the royal surname, is the spit of Vanessa, and she nearly blurted out the whole thing before Agatha stopped her. A bastard sister for sure."

"She could be lying to make you like her more." points out Beatrix. A little reverse psychology never hurt--

But Tedros just rolls his eyes.

"No, Agatha was too quick to shut her up. Plus, neither Vanessa nor Prince Stefan have-- or had-- any siblings. Whatever. She's wasting her time, Agatha is the one with the political advantage." he frowns. "And then--"

"Oh, there's more?" snorts Beatrix.

"The magic I can sense off her." Tedros leans forward eagerly. "That's weird."

"I thought you said it was all weird." says Dot.

"Well, it is, but that's oddest. What's all that about? You two serve her, don't you know--"

"No." Beatrix lies calmly. "And even if we did know, we wouldn't be allowed to tell you. We haven't told her about you, have we?"

"...no."

"Besides, haven't you developed a bunch of your own conspiracy theories about her?"

Tedros squints thoughtfully. Dammit. Beatrix hadn't meant for him to start reeling them off--

"Well, at first I thought it was residue from Vanessa. She reeks of it, and even though my senses have been dulled since... you know, the coronation, I can still tell she's taking appearance magic. So I thought maybe it was just that Agatha being in close proximity to Vanessa made it linger, but now it's clear that they hate each other, and avoid one another as much as possible. So I don't see how it can be leftover from her."

"You think they hate each other?" asks Dot.

"Surely you've noticed that the second they're not being directly observed, Vanessa is glaring at her, and Agatha is making snippy remarks under her breath?"

"... fair enough."

"Anyway, I was with Agatha for several hours and it didn't lessen or weaken, so it's got to be from her."

Beatrix is starting to get nervous. She's never known Tedros to be this observant of well... anything, before. Ever. While she doesn't think he's going to be able to make the leap to fire spirit, it's highly likely he's going to either get the wrong idea, or get dangerously close.

At least he's interested in her--?

"And then," continues Tedros emphatically. "I thought maybe she had some kind of medical condition they were treating with magic, which maybe accounts for the veil, but apart from the fact her voice is kind of rough and she coughs sometimes, she seems pretty healthy. Also, I asked her, and she brushed me off. Which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but still."