Commence Operation V-Day!

T-MINUS 22 DAYS 'TIL V-DAY:

"Sooo...what's your plan this year, Kougs?" My colleague Pisti said between loud crunches of her salad.

I peered over the rim of my coffee cup at her with an eyebrow raised, gulping down a bit too much of my latte. "Ahem...what are you talking about?"

Pisti snickered. "Don't try to act all modest. It's almost that time of year. You know," she held up her hands in a heart and winked at me through it.

"Oh...right."

It was kind of an embarrassing subject for me at this point. Every year around Valentine's day had become somewhat of a ritual for me. I'd use the lovey-dovey atmosphere, cheesy decorations, and obligatory office gift exchanging as a chance to try and bait my crush. The only problem was, the person I had a crush on was none other than Sinbad, the CEO of Sindria Trade Corporation. I saw him on the cover of a Forbes magazine while at the beauty salon as an impressionable teenager, and from then on I made it my life's goal to work at his company one day.

I knew that, in corporate culture, it wasn't a good idea for an employee to try and have a relationship with the head of the company. It's unprofessional and can possibly damage the reputation of both parties. But I was so crazy over this man...the day I saw that magazine I stole it from the salon, framed the cover, and made a shrine in the back of my closet dedicated to him. I prayed to it every night as I put myself through grueling regiments of business studies in my senior year of high school, cram school, and college.

And now here I was, having clawed my way up the corporate ladder to the position of Sinbad's Personal Assistant. It was like a dream come true, only there was no fairy godmother to help me, and I pretty much became an evil witch in the eyes of most of my female co-workers. I was also practically disowned by my family once I put in for the internship here. My parents and older brothers run a company that is Sindria's direct competitor: Kou Enterprises.

Now my only goal was to make sure it was all worth it. I came from a wealthy family, so I didn't care about the money. All I wanted was love. Who better to be swept off your feet by than an insanely handsome multi-billionaire? And if he fell in love with me in return, maybe he'd let me quit my job and be a housewife...in a huge mansion...a mansion-wife?

I still had yet to be successful in my endeavors though. I'd used Valentines Day to drop massive hints to Sinbad the last few years in a row, but he remained stalwartly professional. Either he was clueless, or I just wasn't his type.

"Hellooooo...Earth to Kougyoku! Wake up, space cadet!"

A balled up napkin bounced off my forehead and brought me back from reminiscing.

"Ack! Uh-sorry, Pisti."

"Well? What's the scoop? You gonna try and woo Sinbad again?"

I sighed and pushed a cherry tomato around in my buddha bowl. "I dunno. It didn't work the last few times I tried. I'm starting to think this is as good as it gets. Maybe it's just too inappropriate."

"Aww, seriously? You're gonna quit on me? But your efforts always make work more tolerable this time of year! You can't give up now!"

Pisti had always been my wing-lady when it came to my pursuits for Sinbad. I think maybe she just reveled in the soap-opera like drama of it all.

I shrugged and popped the cherry tomato in my mouth. "I'll still organize Valentine's activities with the morale committee."

Pisti huffed and crossed her arms. "No way. Can't accept it. That dolt Sinbad needs a good woman, and you're the hardest working woman I know. Not to mention the prettiest."