Chapter Two.

Dedicated to @bluerrthanbluee for the awesome cover!

C H A P T E R   T W O 

Gaining the courage to lift my eyelids the next morning, was excruciatingly difficult. Not only because I barely got a wink of sleep, but because I knew what was waiting for me at school. Or to be more specific, who was waiting for me at school. 

I had made myself a jumbo cup of coffee this morning but it seemed as if the caffeine was having no effect on my body, as I yawned for the hundredth time, my eyes still droopy. 

Despite my exhaustion, as soon as Saleh dropped me and Wael off this morning, my body became instantly alert, scanning the area for the one person I was dreading the sight of. As we walked through the quadrangle, I secured my cardigan more tightly over my chest and blew out a gust of air. 

Please God, just let this one day go smoothly. 

“You OK?” Wael asked, eyeing my rigid body. At fifteen, two years younger than me, my brother towered over me in height, his semi-golden eyes, that were an exact replica of Saleh’s, staring down at me in worry. 

“I’m fine,” I lied. I looked ahead, focusing on the entrance before us, so as not to catch the irate look on my brothers face. He was immature at times, but he wasn’t stupid. 

We hurriedly walked off to roll call, with a few seconds to spare before the bell rang. I sat in my usual spot, near the window and relaxed back into my chair. I loved sitting here - whilst most people had trivial conversations with each other, I preferred to stare out at the purple-pink orchid tree that seemed to never die. It’s leaves were sprinkled across the floor, creating a circular sea of absolute bliss. Oh, how I would love to go and lie there with my favourite book right now. 

I was on good terms with most people in my grade. Maybe that was because I pretty much avoid everyone like the plague and make sure to stay out of people’s way. All my teachers didn’t really care about their students. Sometimes I wondered what inspired them to choose their career choice. To me, teachers were the mentors and revolutionisers of the next generation. Yet these teachers walked into the classroom and shoved barely well-constructed content down our throats, whereafter they would retreat to sit at their desk tirelessly, as if they had just completed the toughest of jobs. I snorted. What a joke. 

It seemed my prayer was accepted, as the day flew by exceptionally well after that.

Until the last period, that is. 

I had Studies of Religion last period and although it was my favourite subject, I was a tad skeptical of today’s class, as we would be getting a new teacher. And a very likely scenario, was that we would get Mr Biger, as he was the only other ‘qualified’ teacher in the subject area.

I pulled out my exercise book and my pencil case and waited patiently to see who our new teacher would be. I twirled my ball-point pen between my thumb and forefinger in anticipation, tuning out the discussions going on around me. It wasn’t like they ever interested me anyway. 

Please, don’t let it be Mr Biger.