Nothing but trouble - II

3rd Person POV

John rode back to camp in the evening after enjoying a few quiet drinks in the towns saloon. He admired the emerald green trees, the way they danced as the wind blew. He enjoyed how the birds soared in the sky and the deers bounced across the hazy plains.

Unfortunately, he arrived back at the dusty camp sooner than expected. He hitched his horse and tried to escape to his tent as soon as possible, in order to escape a certain blonde.

"John? John!", John heard that smooth voice yell. Dammit.

"A-Arthur? What's up?", he questioned as he approached him. He had his arms crossed, an irritated expression on his face as he bit his lip, thinking of what to say.

John almost drooled at the sight. Keep it together, Marston, he internally slapped himself.

"I- Where have you been?", the older finally answered, his voice laced with worry yet a hint of anger. "You just left for the entire day without telling anyone? You could've been hurt, or worse!", Arthur's anger started to bubble now.

"Jesus christ Arthur, I was just in Valentine! Why do you care so much?", John spat, trying to resist his stare. In all honesty, being under Arthur's gaze like this? It made him heat up. Everywhere.

"Why do I care so much? Everyone was worried! You may be a little shit head but everyone gives a damn about you, Marston!", he tried to contain his anger, running his hands through his silky hair.

"I-i'm sorry, okay? I'll tell someone next time", John finally broke. He couldn't argue with the man before him. Arthur didn't answer, he just rolled his sapphire eyes and slumped off to his tent. John sighed and made his way to his own tent, saying goodnight to the girls beforehand.

Yet again, his mind was full of Arthur. Arthur Morgan this, Arthur Morgan that. It was stupid at this point. How whipped for him was he? It made him want to vomit, again. How could he have carelessly let his emotions go? It was tiring, he wanted it to stop. He blew out the flickering candle, and got some sleep.

The next morning, John woke up pretty early. Before everyone else, but the women. He sighed and grabbed a morning coffee, the warm liquid slowly waking him up for the day. Arthur woke up next, sitting by the campfire and watching the sun rise further into the sky.

Finally, Dutch woke up. He wanted Arthur and John to go find some food, as they were running low and Pearson keeps on chewing his ears off about it.

"Know how to hunt, Marston?"

"I-i'm okay... Above average", Arthur chuckled,

"I guess we will see... Charles gave me a bow so the kill would be clean, but I have no blinkin' idea how to use the thing". John snorted at this. The Arthur Morgan doesn't know how to use a bow?

"I-i can teach you? If you'd like. I'm pretty good with bows", Arthur stared at John in disbelief.

"So you can't swim and you can hardly write, but you know how to use a goddamn bow and arrow?", Arthur interrogated, humour lacing his tone.

John rolled his eyes, "Yes. Exactly that. Now cmon, I got some teaching to do".

They finally came across the golden plains, the sun beating down on every inch without shade. It was a hot day, the deer were probably resting out of the harsh sunlight but they had to try.

"Any good at trackin'?", Arthur questioned.

"Shit"

"That's fine... i'm a pretty good tracker"

A comfortable silence fell upon the two men. Birds sang their songs and the grass swayed in the winds. Arthur was scanning the ground for any tracks. His face lit up after a few minutes and he signalled the younger to follow him. They stumbled upon two magnificent deer, chewing on their food. Their golden coats shimmered in the sun.

"Go on then, John. Teach me how to use a bow", John swiftly handed him the bow.

"Okay... you gotta stand like this. It's easier sideways, gives you a better perspective", John started, moving Arthur's body the right way. Then, he went behind him, his chest pressing up against the olders back. "Y-you gotta keep you arms like that, one pulling back the arrow obviously. Close one eye to get a better aim, and try and aim for the head".

Arthur took his shot, and missed the first time. Luckily, it didn't startle the deer. In all honesty, he was distracted. John breathing into his neck sent tingles all down his body, goosebumps settling onto his skin. He was confused, but just shrugged it off and immediately got angry at his missed shot.

"Dammit!", Arthur whisper-yelled, almost throwing the bow to the ground.

"Arthur! Calm down, okay? Just try again, it's your first go", John tried to defuse him. It worked, as Arthur went back into position and shot the arrow, it immediately sliding through the deers head. His entire face lit up with happiness.

"Well done!!"

"I am the ruler of bows!", Arthur shot the other deer perfectly. They smiled at eachother, John expressing how proud he was of him. "I got the best teacher, tis all", was all the older said before stowing the deer onto their horses.

The ride back was pleasant. Silent, but pleasant. John couldn't stop thinking about how close the two men were. The way Johns chest pressed up against Arthur's muscly back. The way his entire body heated up at the little contact. God, this man was driving him insane. He didn't know how to stop the intense feelings he was feeling.

They arrived back at camp, and Pearson was over the moon. He was smiling ear to ear. Dutch patted the men on the back, before the pair sat by the dancing flames. Night was falling upon them, the stars twinkling in the dark abyss above.

"John...", the blonde started, "thank you. For teaching me today"

"I-it was my p-pleasure", the younger stuttered out. He mentally face palmed for being so awkward. The two softly smiled at each-other, before Arthur walked off into his tent. John sighed, before heading off to bed as well.

Arthur's Journal
July 18th 1890

Today, I went out hunting with John. He taught me how to use a bow! I felt so stupid not knowing how to be able to use one, but even more stupid knowing he could and I couldn't. He can't swim or write for the love of jesus, but he can use a bow? It doesn't make sense to me.

Anyways, we brought back two deer. Pearson was over the moon to say the least. I'm proud. But, i'm also confused. John was very close to me today. He was talking softly into my ear. It made me feel, all weird and tingly. I don't know. It... it reminds me of when I was with Mary. God, she was a mistake. But... men can't feel that way about each-other. It doesn't make sense, so I must be coming down with a cold or something. Maybe.

I hate that Marston boy anyway. He's nothing but trouble.