the calm |✧

chapter eighteen | fire & the hunting party

chapter eighteen | fire & the hunting party↠ ↠ ↠

Thanks to Hunter's intervention, Murphy received permission to remain in camp, although not everyone welcomed his return. The camp had set up a smokehouse to preserve their hunted meat. Octavia, Murphy, and Hunter were assigned the task of assembling it.

Hunter's motivation for joining the effort was to stay close to Murphy, a sentiment he shared. However, their labor inside the smokehouse was marred by the challenging meat they handled – thin, wide, and far from appetizing. Hunter lamented the lack of gloves as her sticky hair clung to her face, and her meticulously braided locks unraveled.

"Hey, let me help you," Murphy came over and took her hair out of her face and fixed her braid. Hunter looked at him and smiled, and continued to hang the food.

Del, another delinquent, arrived with logs for the fire. Octavia, cautious about the fire's intensity, offered advice.

"You don't want the fire too big. So maybe just try and knock it down with some wet leaves," Octavia suggested.

"You get that from your boyfriend, Grounder Pounder?" Del snapped back.

Hunter scoffed, "No, it's common sense, now get out of here before I throw you out," Hunter turned back around and continued hanging the meat.

"She's right," Murphy added. "A hot fire is not gonna preserve the meat as well,"

"You can't take the heat, get out of the smokehouse," Del looked at Murphy. "You should be kissing our asses for being allowed back in this camp,"

Hunter stopped and grabbed Del by his collar and threw him out. "What did I say?" Del looked back at her, with the camp now looking at the display. "Now get back to work!" Hunter turned around and went back into the smokehouse.

"Your brother couldn't get you a better job?" Murphy asked Octavia. "Anything would be better than working in the meat furnace,"

"Oh, probably," Octavia smirked. "That just means someone else would have to do it,"

Hunter and Murphy both smiled at each other, "Any reason I couldn't get a better job?" Murphy asked.

"Oh, I'm not I'm charge of assigning jobs, just making sure they get done. Now, go get some wet leaves, to bring down this fire," Hunter told Murphy as he left the furnace.

But it was already too late as the fire got caught on the logs and everything went up in flames. Octavia was taken out by Bellamy, and Murphy ran back in and grabbed Hunter's hand and brought her out, and she fell to the floor. Murphy rested a hand on her back. "You okay?" Hunter nodded and watched their food go up in flames. Then Del stood in front of the fire, and Murphy stood up, "this is all your fault! We told you it was too much wood," Murphy grabbed Del and started fighting with him.