long into an abyss [2] |✧

chapter twenty-nine | the commander & the truce

chapter twenty-nine | the commander & the truce↠ ↠ ↠

Clarke, Hunter, and Finn hurried back to the camp, desperately searching for Abby. "Mom!" Clarke's voice echoed as she called out.

Abby and Jaha rushed over, their faces filled with urgency. "Where have you been? We're leaving," Abby informed them.

Clarke wasted no time in getting to the point. "I know how to stop the attack," she declared.

Jaha seemed puzzled. "What are you talking about?"

Clarke explained her plan, her determination shining through. "We haven't been able to negotiate with the Grounders because we haven't had anything to offer them. The biggest threat they face is from the Reapers, and I think we may be able to eliminate that threat for them once and for all."

Abby took a deep breath, absorbing the gravity of Clarke's words. "How?"

"Abby, you can't seriously—" Jaha began, but the Arkers around them started pointing and murmuring. Hunter and Clarke approached the fence, and they soon found themselves surrounded by torches.

The Grounder army had arrived.

In the council meeting room, Hunter, Clarke, Finn, Abby, and Jaha huddled together. Major Bryne and Sergeant Miller stood guard at the door.

"They're not attacking yet," Hunter observed. "That means we still have time."

Abby calculated their remaining time. "We have two hours until dawn."

Clarke and Hunter proposed a plan to approach the Grounder Commander. "Let us talk to the Commander," Clarke suggested, referring to herself and Hunter. "She was Anya's second, and maybe she'll listen."

Jaha voiced his reservations. "We don't even know if the Commander is here."

Finn stepped in, advocating for their plan. "You have to at least let them try."

Abby appeared conflicted but hesitant to make a decision. Jaha pressed for urgency, slamming his hands on the table. "Abby, we're wasting time. Give me the authority now."

Abby tried to maintain control of the situation. "Hold on."

Clarke made her case, emphasizing the urgency of their mission. "Abby, you said that Lincoln is going through withdrawal. We don't even know what he's withdrawing from, and the detox alone could kill him."

Hunter's tone was resolute. "That's where you come in."

Abby expressed her concerns. "And if I can't save him?"

Clarke made it clear that failure was not an option. Jaha questioned their decision. "We are risking everything on a bluff? Abby, we have an out. We have a way to save the lives of our people."