Chapter Eleven

The delicious smell of pot roast filled my nose as soon as I entered my front door. Gold stumbled in after me, laughing about something I didn’t quite catch. After kicking off my shoes I ordered the boys to do the same.

            “What if Rian’s feet smell?” Noah asked, making a face as he dropped his shoes to the ground.

            Rian turned to give a sarcastic look to him. “I do believe it’s you who has the smelly feet.”

            Noah rolled his eyes. “My feet smell like fresh pine.”

            Ignoring the boys, I headed toward the kitchen where I could hear the sound of the sink running. A smirk came onto my face when I reached the doorway. My mom’s back was to the door as she washed the dishes, giving me the perfect chance to sneak in and scare her. Slowly, I began to creep towards her, holding my breath tightly. When I was about a foot away, I put up my arms, ready to grab onto her shoulders.

            “Boo!”

            A small scream of surprise escaped my lips as my mom turned, flicking the water off her hands into my face. She started laughing while I stumbled a few steps backwards, rubbing the water off my face.

            “What happened?” Rian demanded, nearly jumping through the doorway. “What is it?”

            My mom’s eyes snapped to him, a curious expression coming onto her face. “Nothing happened. You must be one of our guests.”

            “That’s Rian,” I told her, wiping my wet hands off on my pants.

            “I’d shake your hand, but mine are wet,” my mom said, smiling at him. “I’m Amy.”

            Rian grinned. “It’s fine. Nice to meet you, Amy.”

             “Nice to meet you too,” she responded, shooting me an impressed look.

            I returned it with a raised eyebrow. What was so impressive about greeting someone? It wasn’t like he was being extra polite about it or anything…

            “Are you Iris’s boyfriend?”

            “Mom!”

            “Yep!”

            My head snapped to Rian, who was grinning like a maniac. Shaking my head, I turned back to my mom. “He’s not—”

            My mom furrowed her eyebrows. “I swear I read in that stupid magazine of Brendon’s you were dating a member of Gold.”

            My eyes widened in bewilderment. Even my mom knew about that? What, did the whole world know?

            “That would be me,” a new voice announced and moments later Noah appeared in the kitchen, closely dogged by Luke and Chloe. “I’m Noah.”

            My mom snapped her fingers. “Noah! That’s it!”

            “We’re not really dating though, mom,” I interjected before Noah could say anything misleading. “It’s fake.”

             “Fake?”

            “Long story.”

            My mom looked curious, but let it drop. Instead, she walked over to Luke and held out her hand. “I’m Amy.”