The Past Makes The Present

It has been two years since I started living under the Wolf Queen Thessalia's homeland and I have grown very attached to her and her children, Nix and Mollis who I think feel the same way towards me.

Nix was the pure white wolf who would laze around whenever the opportunity arises but other than that she is very reliable and diligent unlike Mollis, Nix's younger sibling by 2 human years though for me, they both look the same age. Mollis was a little grey in color and is the type to be hard-headed at times when it comes to doing unexciting chores and responsibilities such as surveying the entire forest or guarding the entrance of the Thessalia's den from poachers and woodjacks but instead I volunteered for the sake of his and my home.

Everwhere Mollis goes he always have a doll to play and keep him company, it was something that gives the him courage. This doll was given by Thessalia which she picked up from one of her travels around the world with somebody I have yet to ask. This said doll is but a simple doll not like the porcelain dolls you may be thinking. This one simply made from burlap material, stuffed with hay inside with long pieces of yarn sewn on its head and ot wears an old dress.

Mollis may be a boy but I don't see a reason why I should laugh at him considering its something that gives him courage. I instead respect him and his doll.

Ever since then, there never came a time when I haven't seen Mollis without his doll on his back or his maw, mind you he cares for the doll very much that he would never even think of ravaging it.

Living with Thessalia taught me a lot of things such as the residents living in the forest, from insects to animals and its vegetation. She also taught me ways to improve my skills with cryomancy as I then learned a mythical spell only Thessalia knows, "Fimbulwinter". A spell in which calls forth upon a large devastating blizzard around her, dropping temperature to -30° Celsius. But since it is very powerful and I just started learning it, my blizzard could only last for up to 5 minutes at most while Thessalia's could last for however long she wishes to. I thought I had a lot of mana but it turns out it is nothing compared to the Wolf Queen.

There have been times when I cried out silently having been blessed and accepted in a new family, how I wish I knew of my former one. I couldn't bear imagine the amount of tears my true parents wept missing me or thought of them celebrating my absence, I am afraid to know my past. That's when Thessalia showed up behind me.

"Little Snowflake?" Her eyes showed the kind of gentle concern. She laid beside my shoulder, and instead of flinching, I was soothed by it. She spoke with such a soft voice I felt her words calming me more by the way they were said than the actual words. It felt as if I were wrapped in a blanket of her caring especially since her fur barely touching my skin. "What is troubling you my snowflake?"

My eyes shifted to the white fluffy tail of Thessalia, I try to avoid gazing at her; not wanting her to worry about me.

"Why do you fear to face me little snowflake? Have I done you wrong in any way?" She asks as she curls around me. It's how wolves attempt to hug, in this case Thessalia was trying to comfort me.

Thessalia's eyes met mine, her's full of worry and concern. I was then caught staring at those eyes having my heart ache. I don't see Thessalia to cease any time soon, so I gave up on hiding and opened my mouth. "It is not that mother. It's just that- I'm afraid..."

"Afraid of what?"

"My past life. Sometimes I wonder, no, often I wonder, imagine, search all around me, trying my hardest to recall but all I get are vague dreams I could not piece together. And for that I know little truth of my past could, I either be missed by people who were close to me or they prefer I do not exist anymore."

"I see now, you fear the unknown past. Allow me to tell you this little snowglake. Fear is part of being human, it's the precursor to bravery. We need it, it wakes us up to what needs to be done. So feel it, own it, let it ignite your thoughts. Despite being afraid wouldn't you wish to uncover what is forgotten, to rid of this anxiety that has been burden."

I couldn't breath. My heart was racing and all I wanted to do was curl up into a ball nestled around Thessalia. "But what if it was the harsh truth... Wouldn't it-"

"My little snowflake, you posess the heart of both purity and kindness. You are fresh air and clean water, you are rich soil for the harvest and the sweet spring rain. With all your good deeds why do you still fear? For what matters is who you are now, your past makes who you are today. Listen well my child, no matter your past, your present lies here with those who love you for who you are today."

Thessalia nuzzled her forehead to my own. "I love you as if you were my own Aoresa , remember that."

I then embraced her. And our hold on each other was kept for almost half an hour until I unintentionally slept on her soft warm fur. For a wice (ice wolf), she is very warm.

If ever I seem to be in distress, Thessalia was always behind to comfort me whenever. She is the best mother a person could very much ask for.

My day there is like an everyday routine. The moment I stepped out and ate a bit, I circled the entire forest, visiting and greeting all the forest's inhabitants from small hares hopping on the snow to the birds nexting high up in the sky. The purpose of this was to ensure that nothing had disturbed the frozen forest's peacefulness like what happened years before.

Before Thessalia became very huge, the forest caught on fire, a war was waged between two factions and this frozen forest was caught in the middle of it. After she met somebody, with his help they stopped the war before more of the forest was lost.

If there comes another time like that, Thessalia asks me to tell her at once. And the story was sad for me to hear. The race involved here were both humans, my own kind. I couldn't believe the story that they used poison laced weapons to kill everything in sight slowly and effortless, oh and no, this isn't any ordinary poison, a quick whiff of its scent alone can kill you instantly. But knowing mother, she would never lie something like that.

Why are humans waging wars against each other? Why do we greed for power? Will there be a time when peace is settled between everyone?

Anyways continuing on, after my walk around, I begin to practice my magic and learn how to control it more with Thessalia's guidance ofcourse.

Before the sun sets, I and Thessalia's children gather a stack of sticks lying around as we then used it to make a bonfire in Thessalia's den. All of us sitting around the fire ring in the. The temperatures have usually warmed up a bit, so the radiant heat from the fire feels nice and cozy. We chat about anything and everything around the fire, and sometimes we play games too! And while we do that we were roasting cut potatoes over the fire sometimes cabages too and we ate it all after it was completely roasted.

My life there may be simple but I very much enjoy every second of it with my family.