𝖿𝗂𝗏𝖾

DAINTY FEET

DAINTY FEET

aunt alice's letter was almost forgotten entirely, as it sat solemnly on your desk disregarded and untouched for days.

as you sat in the study and tried desperately to pay attention to what mr. brooke was saying, laurie continued to stand almost regally (however looked rather silly) on his chair. over the course of the study session, he'd distracted himself with jumping around and aimlessly fiddling with something. he stood like a statue and he almost looked chiseled by the gods, though you would never admit such a thing.

"sit down. sit down, laurie. latin is a privilege. please, you have to learn this. i can't afford to lose this position." mr. brooke pleaded, with a sigh. "just return to cicero."

you felt horribly for the young man. you knew he was quite poor and you didn't want him to lose his job either. however, laurie continued to stand on the chair and stare out the window.

"teddy, come down here this instant." you snapped. mr. brooke gave you a grateful smile.

"there's a girl out there," laurie finally spoke.

"what?" you asked, now moving to see as well.

"no there is not. both of you come back here, please." you stumbled over the other books on the floor, trying to get to laurie's chair to have a look for yourself.

"yes! mr. brooke there is a girl."

"no there is not." mr. brooke said. you could tell he was beginning to get extremely tired of laurie, but he wasn't lying. sure enough, a blonde haired girl stood outside crying. one of the march sisters, you realized, as you had seen her the day you dropped off meg and jo at their house.

"he is telling the truth," you confirmed. laurie dragged a bench over, for him to stand. you were now standing with laurie on the chair as well. you struggled to keep yourself balanced and you grabbed laurie's shoulder as you peer out the window. you could her crying from inside, but you couldn't make out what she's saying.

"oh, there is a girl." mr. broker said.

"that's a girl," laurie nodded. he threw open the window and yelled out.

"hello there! are you hurt?" the girl stopped pacing and turned to the window. all three of your heads were peaking through the window.

"i'm amy." amy continued to sniffle.

"hello amy, i'm laurie!"