𝗇𝗂𝗇𝖾𝗍𝖾𝖾𝗇

THE HARSH REALITY

THE HARSH REALITY

OLIVER EMBRACES YOU in a hug, when you meet him for lunch. you want to hug him back, but stiffen when you remember what had happened with laurie. oliver steps back and pulls out his chair, sitting down and putting his napkin on his lap.

"how've you been?" he asks, taking a sip of his water.

"i'm alright, how are you?" you're looking down at your lap, afraid to look into his eyes.

"i'm well. are you sure you're okay?" he brushes his hand under your chin to guide your gaze to his face.

"yes." you breathe, looking into his dark eyes. but all you can see was laurie, smiling back at you. your cheeks burned and you looked down again.

"i'm leaving again." he says, halfway through your lunch.

"really? when?" you ask, swallowing a bit of your food.

"tomorrow. i'm going to london on business. i'll miss you, my love." at his words, you can't help but feel upset. you are his love, but is he yours? truly?

"i'll miss you too, oli." the nickname rolling of your tongue easily. you have some sort of habit, making up nicknames for people. maybe it is your way of showing affection. "my aunt wants me to go wedding dress shopping."

"really? you should take laurie with you, then. you shouldn't go alone." he suggests, making you wring your hands together nervously.

"i-i don't think that's necessary, oliver. i'll just go with amy." you stutter out.

"why not go with them both? he's your best friend, isn't he?" he says nonchalantly. "he'll make sure you pick the best one, but i'm sure you'll look beautiful either way."

you nod cautiously, too nervous to say anything back.

laurie takes up your offer and is already at the dressmaker when you and amy arrive.

"hello, laurie!" amy says, pulling him into a hug. she had just gotten engaged to fred vaughn and was showing him her wedding ring as you made your way back into the room, dress on.

"how do i look?" you ask, cheeks rosy as laurie gazes at you, with a look you can't place. amy is tearing up and rushes over to give you a hug, "you look gorgeous! oliver will fall in love with you all over again! laurie, tell her she looks stunning,"

laurie glances at you again, "you look beautiful. you are beautiful."

a day later, you and laurie are lounging around in the garden of the estate, while you sketch him and hum a soft tune.