The Last Day

Running from the guards was not Ezio's idea of a brisk morning walk home. If he had woken up sooner there would not have been any shouting or cursing, but he was not that lucky. There was no going back now. He sat in the cart full of flower petals waiting for the guards to move on. He thought about what happened before Cristina's father walked in; the conversation Ezio had been avoiding the entire night. Needless to say the conversation did not go well. 

Any chance of redemption was gone at this point. Cristina cursed Contessina's name and then cursed his before throwing his clothes at him and telling him to get out. Cristina was enraged, which he expected, but it did get the attention of her father. This was the reason he was avoiding the guards. Cristina's father threatened to have Ezio killed and it was not even noon. 

Jumping out of the cart, Ezio brushed himself off before going in the direction of Palazzo Auditore. There was no sign of the guards that had chased him earlier, but he still had to be careful. There was another person he had to look out for and he would not be as happy about this. That person happened to be standing at the front entrance to home with a very impatient and disappointed look on his face. Ezio winced as he spotted his father standing there waiting for him. The young man knew that he was late and if it had not been for his morning run from the authorities, he would have been on time. 

Ezio swallowed and prepared himself for a verbal beating from Giovanni before walking over to the older man. The young man knew better than to pretend that his father did not see him. He crossed the small square knowing that Giovanni's eyes were on watching him the entire time and it was nerve wracking. Walking up to his stern father, Ezio found himself wanting to run away just a little, but unfortunately he learned ever trick in the book from the man standing at the door. There was no escaping Giovanni Auditore. 

"Good morning, Father." Ezio said not making eye contact with his father.

"Do you think me blind and deaf? I can only assume that you are because you did not listen to me. I know about your fight with Vieri de'Pazzi." Giovanni said and held up his hand when Ezio opened his mouth to speak. "I do not care if it was in defense of what he did to Contessina, you did not have to fight him. What is worse is that I also heard about your little visit to Cristina. I thought we had an understanding, son, but clearly I was wrong." 

"No!" Ezio blurted out and then settled himself. "I only went to tell her the truth, but I did not expect to stay so long. She...is not a problem anymore." He stood up strait to own his actions. 

"And what of Vieri? Is he a problem too? Or did the fight only make things worse for our family?" Giovanni asked his son and then sighed. "You are a lot like myself, Ezio. There are days when I think I am seeing myself standing before me and I am reminded of days like this where my own father berated me in a similar manner." He put a hand on Ezio's shoulder and smiled. "I was a lot like you." 

"Now I see why Mother loves you so much." The younger man chuckled before Giovanni put a serious look on his face. 

"I hope your misadventures will not interfere with your work today." The older man said. 

"No, Father." Despite Ezio's attitude, he did enjoy working for his father. Of course, someone had to make up for Federico's laziness. "It will not be a problem." 

"Good. Come with me." Giovanni turned towards the door of his office with Ezio following him. Once inside, Ezio noticed letters stamped with wax seals in a stack and a leather bag beside them. "I need you to deliver a letter to Lorenzo de'Medici and return to me." Giovanni said picking up the folded parchment that rested on the very top of the stack. 

"With haste, Father. I will be back in no time." Ezio said taking the letter and putting it in the inside pocket of his vest. "If you see Contessina, tell her I will be back."