Fight or Flight

She was getting rather bored with sitting around all day and night doing nothing. Sometimes it felt like there was a storm on the edge of the horizon, close enough to hear the thunder, but far enough just to know it was there. Contessina hated feeling at any moment a man could walk through the door or bust through the windows and kill each person within the room she was lounging in. She was bothered by it and felt helpless from it as well. The anxiety between her and Lucrezia could be seen when they both looked at one another occasionally with a forlorn expression on their faces. Clarice was still very much in the dark with this, but for good reason. 

The Medici woman was so very close to giving birth that worrying her could do more harm than good at that point. Both Contessina and Lucrezia agreed that the subject was never to be brought up in front of Clarice or the children. For now, Contessina had to endure the suspense of an oncoming attack they may occur without warning. Of course, Lucrezia was doubly worried about Contessina's condition as she was still early in her pregnancy and this somewhat annoyed the blond. 

The Sun had set hours ago and even though dinner had been uneventful, save for Giovanni throwing grapes at his brother because of something he said. Other than that, Contessina found herself sitting in the parlor with her feet up on a footrest and a book open in her lap. Of course, she had another half eaten pear in her hand and at her side on the small table was a cheese board that Serafina had obliged her with. Clarice was unable to attend dinner that evening saying she was unwell, which was to be expected since her child was due any day. Contessina wondered if her pregnancy could give her as much trouble as Clarice's seemed to give her and the thought alone almost made her squeamish. Flipping the page of her book she heard footsteps come into the room and she turned her head to look at who it could be. 

"You should be resting." Lucrezia said as she sat in the chair next to Contessina and began to read her own book. 

"I'm too hungry to rest." The blond took a bite of her pear and put her book down in her lap to rub her hand on her growing bump. Not much longer and the whole world would know she was carrying a child without her even having to say a word. "Besides, I'm too nervous." 

"I know. I am too, but that doesn't mean you cannot find rest when you should." The older woman gave her a comforting smile before turning back to her book. "I know half of your nervousness comes from not having your husband here with you." There was a knowing glance thrown in Contessina's direction and the young woman knew her aunt was very right. 

"It's strange really." Contessina put the pear down next to the cheese on the table and sighed. "When I left Monteriggioni I almost thought he was angry with me and he probably was. When he gave me that one kiss before turning around for Firenze, I swear his anger had disappeared completely." 

"That is because it did." The older woman leaned over with a very wise look on her features and she seemed to be giving Contessina more reason to have faith in Ezio. "You are new to marriage, but one thing to know is that men never stay angry with those they love for long. Women do. We stay angry for a long time and we like to see our men suffer for it." There was a sly smirk on Lucrezia's face. "Ezio loves you and he shows it openly." 

"Let's hope he loves me enough when he learns he will be a father." She was still unsure of how he felt regarding children. 

"I can see why you think this way. Ezio does not expect you to provide him with children for the sake of succession or having an heir so it does bother you, but you need not be afraid." Lucrezia was trying to reassure her. "He will love you no matter what and I even suspect he will love the child just as much." The words did nothing to comfort Contessina and she would not be satisfied until she saw Ezio's reaction herself.