Chapter Five

(Switching it up a bit it's Adrien's POV now)
"Ah, Monsieur Agreste!" André says, grinning at me. "And Mademoiselle Dupain-Cheng!"
Marinette smiles nervously, and squeezes my fingers. André eyes our hands and his grin widens.
"Could it be, are you two oblivious soulmates finally a couple?" He asks, excitedly.
I laugh. "I don't know about the oblivious part, but yes. We're a couple."
André claps his hands in joy. "Finally! I knew it would happen!"
"You did?" Marinette says, confused. "I didn't."
"It's like I said, Mademoiselle," the ice cream man says with a knowing smile. "Blackberry and peppermint, an explosive mix that's a fact, but sometimes it's the opposites that attract!" He sings. With one hand, he scoops the corresponding flavours into a sundae cone, adding two small spoons, then hands it to us.
I thank him and take it, giving it to Marinette to hold while I pull out my wallet.
"Oh, no no, Monsieur! This is a gift!" André says, shaking his head so violently the scarf around his neck shook. "A congratulatory gift for your new relationship!"
I try to protest, but he waves us away.
We walk down the bridge, laughing.
"That was kind of him," Marinette says, smiling. "This ice cream is really good!"
I lean over and steal a taste off her spoon. She jumps in surprise, her face red.
"You're right," I say, licking my lips. "Quite tasty."
"You two are so cute." We turn to see Alya, hands on her hips, smiling like a proud mother.
"I know, I'm adorable." I say, striking an exaggerated model pose, and making Marinette snort. I raise an eyebrow at her. "What? Don't I look purr-fect?"
She rolls her eyes. "Come on, the ice cream's going to melt."
I glance at Alya, who waves us away. "Don't worry about me. Nino'll be here soon."
I follow Marinette to a bench with a view of the river, smiling happily. She scoots over and I sit down, taking my small spoon from the ice cream.
Neither of us say anything as we eat. I watch a group of pigeons walk by, bobbing their heads.
"Do you think he's right?" Marinette asks. I look at her. She's frowning in a thoughtful way, licking her spoon.
"Right about what?"
"About us being soulmates."
I blink, confused. "Who knows?"
"Well, of course you are!" A tiny voice says, almost impatiently. Tikki, Marinette's kwami, floats out of her purse and rests on the girl's knee.
"Really?" I say, as Marinette moves so she's blocking Tikki from the view of passerby.
The red fairy nods excitedly. "Any two people who receive the Ladybug and Cat Miraculous are destined to be together!"
Marinette smiles. "Do they always get together, like we did?"
"No, sometimes it's platonic love."
"Thank goodness for that," A grumbling voice interjects. Plagg sits down next to Tikki, a piece of Camembert in his paws. "Those were the less disgusting pairs."
I roll my eyes, knowing what he means.
Marinette glances at me, smiling. "Well I'm glad we're Ladybug and Chat Noir then." She leans forward and kisses my cheek.
I place a hand on her cheek, and pull her back, kissing her on the mouth.  There's a sound of annoyance from the dark kwami, but I ignore him, pulling Marinette closer.
After a few moments, which feel like ages, she pulls back, her cheeks dusted red.
I look at her, at her soft face and blue eyes, at her long black hair. I grin as she blushes more.
"I love you, Marinette."
She blinks, her face turning pinker by the second. Sheepishly, she moves closer, resting her head on my shoulder.
"I love you too."

~End~