Chapter 11- Welcome

Mia

"What is going on here?" I asked no one in particular as a deranged expression settled across my face when I reached the foot of the basement. "Hey! What's going on here?" I abruptly stopped a man who moved our fridge to a pick-up truck. "Why are you moving our things out?"

"We were told to move everything out of that room." He dropped the fridge down and heaved a tired sigh.

"By who?" I barked at him. My anger didn't seem to have moved any bone in his body.

He traveled his eyes around and shrugged when he couldn't find the instructor. "I believe he's the owner of this building. He was standing here like five minutes ago. Either ways young lady, I'm only doing my job."

I ran my hands through my hair in frustration.

Why would Mr Randolph move us out?

What did we do?

My heart slammed wildly against my chest as I paced around like a mad person seeking answers. None of the workers responded to me. Infact, I was ignored like a sack of potatoes. The urge to whack their faces was eccentric. Thankfully, I found Mr Randolph speaking on his phone at the entrance of the main building. "Mr Randolph, what's going on? Why are they are bringing our things out of the basement?"

"I'm sorry Mia, but you can't stay here anymore."

"What, why!"

"Because you're moving to a new place. A new apartment." A familiar voice announced behind me.

"Mr Berns?" My face dropped.

"Mia."
Jay came from behind him, holding an ice cream cone.

"Umm.. Mr Berns, what do you mean we're moving to a new apartment?"

"Remember what I told you?"

I nodded my head in consent. "Yes, I do but....." I left my statement hanging as I crouched down to the floor, hands burrowed into my face.

"Mia, I understand. This is surreal."

"Yes, and I don't understand how this is all happening or why you're doing all this."

He gave me a smile. "You want to go inside and take the few things you deem important to you. We need to set off soon."

"Where is the new apartment located?"

"Not anywhere far from where you work or where Jay goes to school." He said, brushing his hands through Jay's hair.

"Can you believe it Mia? We're getting our own apartment. Papa is going to be elated." He beamed, crunching on the ice cream cone.

I hugged him and felt tears wanting to eke out. My eyes settled on Mr Berns and I mumbled a small thank you to him.

I walked into the basement and found that the room would be nearly empty if not for the maintenance equipment. I rummmaged through the small plastic bag that contained my clothes and fetched out few items belonging to Papa.

I glanced at the room that had been our home for the past four years and let out a deep sigh.

Mr Berns.

Anyway possible, I would one day repay him for his kind deeds. He had made my life a dreamlike state.

"Hey Mia, you ready?" His voice resonated.

"Yes Mr Berns, I'll be out in a jiffy." I carried the bag on my shoulders and ascended the stairs out of the basement. I came out and found out the truck securing our belongings had disappeared.