Chapter 1- My Maria

"Look at all this Maria.  The world is waking up "  My father said as we sat at the table on our front porch. . 

He was staring out at our ranch. The sun was just starting to rise and our ranch workers were beginning to head out to work.  We had several cabins on the ranch that the workers lived in.  Many had families also living on the ranch with them.  Wives would work in our home or had jobs in town.  Their rent came out of their pay every month.  Their children would run around the yard and play together.  The cows started coming around, looking for their breakfast.  A rooster called from somewhere in the distance

The sound of hooves could be heard coming from our right.  My brother, Daniel sat upon his prized pure black horse.  My brother was a handsome young man.  He was the spitting image of my father, years ago.  He had short golden red hair that swept across his eyes and was pulled back into a short ponytail.  He had gained several muscles from the years of working hard on the ranch.  He wore a fitted white button down shirt with a blue jack on top and blue jeans. 

"Where are you heading son?" Dad asked.  "It's awful early to be heading to town."    

"Off to speak with Isabella's Father.  I asked to meet him just after sunrise"  He commented as he turned his horse toward town.  "You'll be alright without me for a few hours?"

"Well it's about damn time.  I need some grandchildren running around this place."  My father's red hair had turned grey after the lifetime of hard work he put into our ranch.  He was a large man and had a booming laugh and voice.  Folks always said he had a smile on his face, even when he slept.  He had a thick mustache that matched his gray hair and thick bushy eyebrows.  Today he had a blue button down shirt on and black pants.  He wore a white hat with a golden buckle around it.

"I'll be sure to let Isabella know."  My brother laughed and headed off into town.  Isabella was the general store owner's daughter.  She was only a couple months older than I was.  Our fathers worked together closely and the three of us had been very close friends growing up.  Since my mother died last year she has become my very best friend.  My brother had started dating her a few months ago.  My father and I could not have been happier for the both of them . 

"She has been waiting for this forever."  I told my father as one of the maids brought out breakfast for us to enjoy on the porch.  I enjoyed these mornings with him.  We would sit and chat.  He would mostly ask about what I had been up too.  Any books I had read or anything interesting I saw while riding my horse.  Occasionally a ranch hand would wander over and say 'hello' to my father.   

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us?"  my father asked as we finished up breakfast.  "I hear the auction will be impressive.  I know you've wanted another horse."  He said as he wiped his mouth on his napkin and set it on the plate in front of him.  My father was heading on a trip several towns away.  He wanted to sell a few of his prize cattle and purchase others.  He did this every couple weeks. 

"Can I get a puppy?"  My little sister Tatianna said, bounding over to my father and climbing into his lap.  She had beautiful blonde curls and bright green eyes.  "My birthday is next week."

"A puppy?"  My father asked as he pulled out a big cigar and lit it.  His acting was a little over dramatic.  "Little girls don't get puppies until their six "

"Daddy, I am turning six!"  he yelled, throwing her hands up into the hair. 

"You are, are you?"  He said looking over at me and winking playfully.  " Well if you're good while I'm gone and help Maria maybe, just maybe a puppy will climb into my pocket for you." 

"I will.  I'll be really really good, I promise."  She then hopped off his lap and ran back into the house.  Father had hired one of the ranch hands' wives' to give her private schooling.  She was doing very well and might be the smartest out of all three of us.   

My father had a smile filled with pride on his face as she ran upstairs.  "Wow she looks like momma doesn't she?"  he commented as a single tear rolled down his face.  We had always been a close family.  Mom died when she was in labor one Christmas eve.  The midwives tried everything they could but, her and the baby didn't make it.  Now we were all dad had. 

"What kind of puppy?"  I joked, trying to change the subject.

"You know any puppy will work for her."  He said as we both stood up from the table and started walking over to the stables.  Every single worker waved to us as we passed, all with big smiles on their faces.  "Now, you sure you and Daniel can-"

"Dad, we'll hold down the fort.  Just bring back that puppy or you'll have Hell on your hands." I joked as a ranch hand brought over his horse.  A black and white speckled one mama used to like to ride with him.

He gave me a hug and a kiss on the forehead. " I know you will.  I just worry.  " he said as he started mounting the horse " When I get back Danny better be engaged and as for you young lady." he reached into his chest pocket and pulled out a few letters.  "These are for you."

I knew exactly what they were.  Love letters, several of them.  Most were addressed to my father.  Several young men in town had taken an interest in me and were asking my dad for permission to take me on a date or start a courtship.  My father trusted me, he knew I was responsible enough to pick my own husband out.  Whoever I picked, my father would love him as his own son and welcome him with open arms. 

"Dad.  Do you know how many of these i've read already?  My prince just isn't in this town."  I laughed, taking the letters from him anyway. 

"Lucky for you, they're not all from 'this town."  He joked with me as he turned this horse toward the stable exit.  I walked next to him till we were at the doors.  "Just let me know when you want me to turn those boys down.  Be good, Love you my maira" 

"Love you too."  I laughed as he sped off into the distance.  "My Maira" was something my mother called me all the time.  He happened to pick up the nickname as well.  I continued to watch until he disappeared from view.  Behind him Ranch workers had heard the cattle, following my father.  Behind all them was a wagon full of goods.  The children were playing as the dust settled from all their leaving.  

That would be the last I ever saw of my father.