Chapter 3

Zed POV

I paced back to house thinking about the day before feeling a sudden pain on my head. I reached towards it and realized I had bumped into the front door. I entered the house with my hand still on my head to check for blood or a bump and noticing the quietness and stillness in the house. Realizing that my dad and Zoey were already asleep, I walked quietly to my room, changed into my pajamas, and went to the bathroom to brush my teeth. As I finished, I opened the door to go to sleep when I saw Zoey there with Xander.

"Hey Zoey, why are you awake, are you hungry, you need me to-"

"Why did you kiss that boy out there?"

I stood there frozen in place thinking about my response to her question before deciding against it, "I'll tell you tomorrow, Zoey, but first you need to sleep--it's a school night."

Zoey sighed in annoyance before responding, "Ok, good night," as she hugged me, well mostly my legs. I knelt down and carried her back to her room and tucked her in with Xander and Puppy by her to keep her safe. I kissed her forehead and left the room while turning on her night light. I walked to my room expecting to sleep immediately but I didn't, I paced around the room and did some push-ups thinking they might tire me out, but I was just energized now.

I decided to go downstairs and grab some milk and cookies to help me sleep. As I was about to eat, I heard a scratch on the front door. I got up leaving the snack on the table and opened the front door to find nothing. I shrugged it off and went back to the table to find my cookie and milk almost done. I groaned in annoyance thinking Zoey or his dad must've eaten it sneakily while he was checking the front door before deciding to finish it up and going upstairs to pass out for the night, not thinking twice as to how his snack got eaten.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"ZED, YOU'RE GONNA BE LATE FOR SCHOOL!"

I groaned in response and got ready for school until I noticed a paper under my pillow. I picked it up and rubbed my eyes to read the note covered in red ink, "The next time I see you with Wyatt, it better be more of a hangout than a date with a rebound wart-face!"

I rubbed my eyes again to check if I was reading it correctly before my dad yelled at me again, "ZED, HURRY UP!"

"COMING DAD!"

I shoved the note in my pocket to study it more later and quickly went down the stairs. I checked my Z-band and saw I had 10 minutes before class started. Zoey was still waiting for me downstairs, and Dad was ready to go to work. I told my dad goodbye before picking up Zoey and sprinting towards her school. For a Seabrook/Zombie Town School System, you'd think they'd expand the bus routes to come here but nope, still a brink in the works. As I neared the primary, I kissed and squeezed Zoey goodbye before gently dropping her down at the front of her primary school and continuing to sprint to Seabrook High. I checked my Z-band and saw that I only had 5 minutes left. I ran passing up coach's greeting and everyone else's, worried the teacher might yell at me for being late again.

As I entered the classroom breathless, I sat down in my seat just as the bell rang and heaved over my desk trying to regain my composure. I rested my head on my right hand to support me as the teacher came in and started doing their job. The only thing I did throughout the entire class was lie my head in my folded arms and falling in and out of sleep with the chatter of the other kids in the background. I felt a paper ball hit the back of my shoulder and sat back up to read it further.

"Hey Zed, you look a little tired, you ok?"

I turned around to see Wyatt looking straight at me with a worried expression and I simply noted before folding the note to put it in my back and resting on my arms. Good to know he cares about me, even after last night. 

—————————————————————————————————————————————————

Sorry this chapter was so shitty, I promise you the next one will be better I guess.

It's still shitty, even after my revisions lol :] - 1/30/24