CHAPTER 1 DEATH

As the early winter settles in, the refreshing chill fills the air, leaving no trace of the once vibrant summer. The lightweight, breezy outfits have long been replaced by cozy furs and snug warmers. Like clockwork, unexpected snowstorms ensue, engulfing the surroundings in a sudden torrential downpour of snowflakes.

As night falls and the skies become shrouded in darkness, the street lamps illuminate, casting a gentle glow that seeps through the halls of supreme harmony. Outside, the relentless snowfall continues, accompanied by fierce winds that relentlessly pound against the doors, effectively trapping the inhabitants indoors.Perched gracefully on a magnificent golden throne, a man of such exquisite beauty resided that his mere presence caused a sharp ache in the eyes of those who beheld him. Below, dressed in a flowing white silk hangfu, knelt a pale-skinned young man on the floor.

 His complexion resembled the purest snow, and his downcast eyes were adorned with slender, graceful lashes. His lustrous white hair cascaded around him, creating an ethereal and fragile spectacle for anyone fortunate enough to gaze upon him.

As tears trickled down his face, each droplet resembled a pristine crystal, shimmering with purity and clarity. His delicate visage quivered, his rosy lips trembling as he struggled to contain the sorrows that plagued his heart. Despite being in his twenties, this young man's beauty remained as resplendent as ever, his allure blossoming at the tender age of twenty-two. He was the very embodiment of a beauty so captivating that it could incite chaos within the city of Jing.

The eunuch stood silently at the side, clutching a bowl of poison in his trembling hands. The young man's gaze met his, his eyes devoid of life and filled with icy coldness, mirroring the tiles beneath his kneeling form. A deep-seated hostility furrowed his brow, casting an ominous shadow over the room. 

"Zen asks you once more. Why did you attempt to assassinate Zen's heir ? Countless opportunities were given to you by Zen, yet today, you have sealed the fate of your entire clan, condemning them to perish alongside you. The illustrious Wang clan shall cease to exist." 

The deafening silence in the room only amplified the weight of his words, hanging heavy in the air.  Since you have been immensely supportive to Zen during these previous years, we will prioritize the safety of women and children. Zen will ensure they are placed in reputable households, but on the condition that you confess your mistakes."With a cautious movement, Wang Xiu Ying lifted his gaze and met the eyes of the man seated above him. Time had transformed him, enhancing his handsomeness while erasing the traces of youth. Memories flooded Wang's mind, reminding him of their past encounters. Now, before him sat a figure both wise and merciless, a true embodiment of power. It was the very same man who once assured him that on this path, only Wang Xiu Ying could be his steadfast ally, unyielding in the face of adversity.This was the same man who now renounced his own promises. Wang Xiu Ying's gaze dropped once more, his grip on his silk robe tightening until his nails pierced his palms, drawing blood. The cold that seeped into his bones no longer registered, his body numb from the pain. He remained silent for a while, gathering his thoughts before speaking with a voice that sounded hoarse and cold.During the reign of Huangdi, when Empress Begong had just ascended to power, it was Huangdi who sought the assistance of the Wang clan to secure his position on the dragon throne, isn't that right?" Wang Xiu Ying's tears streamed down his face as he uttered these words.

Prince He Shuren, one of the six sons of the deceased emperor, was favored by the late Ying Li Li, the esteemed high imperial consort. Despite being born to a concubine, he had acquired extensive knowledge and earned a distinguished reputation for himself. Nevertheless, the emperor remained staunch in adhering to traditional customs, and Prince He Shuren's outstanding abilities could not alter the predetermined succession. As a result, when conflict arose between the Shen faction and the He faction, the crown prince became a victim of assassination.