|| chapter 2 / flashback ||

| jaehwa's pov |

cherry blossoms flew through the air as the nice spring breeze blew back my half tangled hair. flowers were blooming all over the park coloring the area with bright colors.

young children chased each other while squeals erupted from their small bodies with excitement. a genuine smile formed on my face as i thought of the many memories that this park withheld.

// flashback //

"jimin!! give me sunny back!", my seven year old me yelled.

jimin ran in a figure eight with a golden bunny in his small palm. he giggled while he waved the stuffed animal in the air, pestering me as my patience grew small.

i finally gave up on chasing him and asking for my bunny, so i walked over to the bench with silent tears trailing down my face and my face towards the ground. from the corner of my eye, the little boy stood there looking at me.

the next second flew by and he stood in front of me with two arms behind his back. "you know i was just messing with you jae.", he said with his immature voice.

i looked up at him with the remaining tears in my eyes, saying nothing. "but you do it all the time jimin and it really...", i stopped. he sat next to me and looked into my sad eyes.

"it really what?", he asked.

"it makes me anxious and nervous. because you know the meaning behind the bunny.", i mumbled.

a sigh ran over his small plump lips. he sat down scooting closer to me and wrapped his arm around my shoulders while he handed me my bunny back. a small smile appeared as i leaned into him.

"i'm sorry jae. sometimes, i forget what happened. i don't want to make you nervous, so i won't ever do it again. i promise.", he said holding up a pinky.

i hooked my pinky against his and tightly squeezed as we sealed the promise. i lifted my head from his shoulder and rubbed my eyes.

"jimin, i'm getting tired. can we go back?", i asked. he nodded his head and hopped off the bench and reached out his hand for mine.

i instantly laid my hand down on his and got up onto my feet. we started walking back home as the sun began to set. the chilling breeze hit our skin, causing goose bumps to ride our petite bodies.

after ten minutes of walking, we hit our houses and stood across from each other. "i'll see you tomorrow, right?", jimin queried. i nodded my head and smiled, reassuring him i'd be here.

"ok.", he responded back with a smile. he waved at me as i waved at him. we both turned our backs to each other and hurried into our houses as the night crept upon us.

// end of flashback //

my mind snapped back into reality as a louder scream was escaping a child. i looked over to where the sound echoed from. a young individual sat on the ground as blood dripped from its knee.

i got up instantly and walked over to them. tears streamed down their face as their pained eyes looked up at me.

"let's get this cleaned up.", i offered. the child slowly nodded its head as they kept their glossy eyes glued to me.

i grabbed my water bottle from my purse and a napkin that was folded in one of the pockets. i poured the luke warm water onto the dry object then applied it to the child's scrape.

a whine came from the child as it stung the wound slightly. i took another dry napkin, wiped away the wet substance, and applied the band aid i had.

"there you go.", i whispered.

"thank you!", the child said hugging me.

they ran off with their friends away from me. something about that kid reminded me of jimin. it left my mind a dreadful mess as i tried to pin point the reason.

i sat back down on the bench and continued to dive into my thoughts. when i began to think again, a young man popped in front of me.

"hey jae!", the man said with enthusiasm.

i gave him and dirty look and rolled my eyes. "who are you?", i snapped. he furrowed his perfect eyebrows and removed his sun glasses.

"bitch, what the fuck it's me! jimin!", he barked.

i looked at him with my mouth agape as i noticed his change. he ran his fingers through his now pink cotton candy hair and licked his lips.

"how could you not tell!", he said with what seemed offense.

"sorry chim. you change your hair so often that sometimes i can't even tell it's you. even from behind.", i admitted.

he smirked and got down at my level, looking me in the eye. "how could you not tell from this?", he joked while turning around and pointing at his butt.

i rolled my eyes in disgust and crossed my arms. he chuckled and sat next to me. "you know you like it."

i rolled my eyes again and rubbed my temples. sometimes jimin was too much for me. his energy levels go through the roof at times which makes it harder for me to keep up with any physical activity he does. his jokes can get out of hand at times, but we all need those once in awhile.

"whatever jimin.", i sighed.

he scanned my face and remained quiet for a couple seconds. he knew something was up from my demeanor. i knew he was going to ask.

"what's going on?", he innocently asked.

"thirteen years ago.", i simply said.

that's when realization hit him. he wrapped his arms around me and pecked my cheek remaining silent. a tear or two slipped from my sad eyes when i lifted my arms to hang them from jimins.

"i'll always be here for you jae. always. i promise.", he said holding a pinky out. i hooked it then released and rested my head against jimins.

"thank you. same goes for you.", i remarked.

he pulled away from me and smiled. "lets go get some coffee, hm?", he offered.

"sure!", i said happily.

he took my hand in his and pulled me quickly in the direction of the café. we doin got there and sat down with the sun peeking through the window.

jimin was a ray of sunshine in my life. whenever i had a bad day, he made it better in his own creative and caring way. he shone some light on it, even if i didn't want it.

and sometimes, you need that...

/ authors note /

what's poppin'?!

i hope you enjoyed this chapter of café boy! i love love love writing this!  i'll try to keep it updated every week, but school and sports kind of fill up my schedule, but i'm always going to try.

jimin and jaehwa are best friends, if ya haven't noticed haha 😂 through out the chapters, it will explain more and get deeper into all that had happened in the past.

again, thank you for reading! i'm hoping you're enjoying this book! please comment and vote 🥺 i mean you don't have to, but it would be nice.

have a wonderful day/night! don't forget to smile!! 💜

-jo

💜💜💜