Chapter 29

Gwen's P.O.V.

It's been a pretty smooth transition, transferring schools and all. Mrs. and Mr. Piccoli have been a major help in setting up my house and making my home feel like home. Mr. Piccoli kept his promise and hasn't told Chrissy about me and I'm amazed that it hasn't slipped. It's only been a month but still, things happen. Another plus about this house is that it has a built in security system with around the clock surveillance, so I don't have to worry about Kyle or anyone else.

Lincoln memorial is a pretty good school as well. The people here are welcoming and even though I speak to literally two people, they all treat me like I'm family. It's a strange feeling, being accepted so easily but I like it.

Although I couldn't join the basketball team, I was still able to join the majority of the clubs, most of which surrounded the schools athletic teams. So, in reality, I go to just about every game and watch them play for free. Speaking of games, there next one is today actually and they're facing, you guessed it, the Eagles. It's an out of conference game, obviously, and Rick is dragging me there because he has some obsession with Chrissy. I think it's cute but he doesn't have enough courage to speak with her so he wants me to do it. When I haven't spoken to her in weeks. I haven't spoken to any of them in weeks. Including Jen. She probably hates me by now and I don't blame her.

I left without saying anything to anyone and all of the messages that they sent me were never read. I had Rick delete them all because I was afraid of what they might say. Here I am calling Rick a coward when I can't even face my own decisions. Don't get me wrong, I want to talk to Jen but I'm not sure how I can. Hey Jen, I've been giving you the cold shoulder for weeks but I want to talk now! What's up? Yeah. That's not gonna happen.

I want to speak with her though. Badly. I want to tell her that I miss her and that I'm sorry and that I'm getting better but I doubt she'll listen. I mean, why give me the time of day? I never gave her a chance after all the shit she put herself through just for my sake. God I'm a terrible person.

"Hey, cheer up champ! Why the long face?" Rick asks as he takes his eyes off the road momentarily, studying my face. Before I can respond Rebecca grabs my cheeks from the back seat, forcing me to smile.

"Yeah champ, why the long face?" She mimics Ricks tone, making her sound more childish as she laughs at herself. These are the people that I surround myself with on a daily basis. Rick, like myself, lives out here and drives back and forth just to help out Sue. Apparently he doesn't mind the drive because he knows that it's a good cause. Rebecca lives out here too, obviously, and she's just a ball of energy. In some ways, she reminds me of Lauren because they both have the ability to make the dullest moments enjoyable.

Laughing silently at them, I tell them nothing and go back to thinking about her. I wonder how she's been. Has she changed? Will she hate me? Hell, I'm gonna kill myself thinking about it before I can actually see for myself.

"Hey Champ, relax. You'll be okay. Don't freak, they miss you just as much as you miss them, believe me." He gives a reassuring smile before giving the road his full attention. We sit in silence as we continue our drive towards the high school. Ricks words keep playing repeatedly in my head and I can't quite figure out why. Is it because he's too sure? I mean how can he be that positive? Unless....

"When was the last time you spoke with them Rick?" We're at a red light as his changes songs on his iPod. It's obvious that he knows something because he's pretending like he doesn't hear me. "Rick." I repeat sternly and he visibly shudders.

"Well. Yesterday, when I was helping out Sue they were all there... Talking about you, actually. That one Dahlia girl told them that you were kicked out but they don't know where you live, only the direction."