T W O

C H A P T E R   T W O

distance or trust?

JENNIE'S POV

“Mom, I'm back.” I yelled as soon as I went in the house.

“Jennie-ah . . . Did you already eat?” My mom asked as she helped me took off the jacket I was wearing.

“I did drink coffee and ate a little. But I don't have any appetite so I'm fine.” I answered as I smiled, remembering that man.

Gosh, I didn't even get the chance to ask his name. But he was caring. He had a cold face but he also had this sweet spot.

“I . . . Heard your dad is back from the States.” I heard mom say and I can only nod. I don't think I can tell her that I had an argument with him.

The thing is . . . My dad and mom had a divorce several years ago. I never thought of a reason. But I blamed myself. Until now, I felt like I gave them a hard time, that's why they broke it off.

Nobody knows about this. Only Baekhyun and Tzuyu knew since we were college bestfriends. I have no plan on telling anybody else. There's no point at telling either.

“Do you want to take a break from your work?” My mom asked and I was taken aback.

“Mom . . . Even though I kinda feel jobless. I won't quit or take a break. I still have hope. I . . . Know one day, I'll be able to work again.” I explained with a smile and my mom smiled back. I'm so lucky to have her.

As I went in my room, I couldn't stop thinking about that pale guy. When can I repay him? When can I see him again?

Next time when we'll be able to see each other again, I hope to know his name.

3RD PERSON'S P O V

“What? You assigned this to me?” Jennie yelled in excitement after hearing that she was assigned to be interviewed by a reporter about everyday work in the office.

“Really?” she asked once again, not believing that his father let the chief assign this to Jennie.

“Yes, you'll be interviewed
tomorrow———”

“Thank you, Mr. Seo! I'd do this job properly.” Jennie bowed with a wide smile on her face as she jumped cutely, leaving the chief's office.

“What is she very excited about? She's not working on a case.” The chief murmurs and Tzuyu and Baekhyun looked at each other before chuckling.

_________

“One ice americano please.” she stated with a wide smile.

“You look very happy. Did you receive very good news?” The cashier asked and Jennie chuckled, nodding.

“A very good news actually.” she answered and the coffee maker had gave her coffee.

As she turned around to sit at a table, to her surprise, she saw him again.

“Oh, it's you again.” Jennie said. “Wow. We met again.” The man said, ruffling Jennie's hair like she's a child.

“Great. I can treat you now. Something good happened today.” She said and he smiled and agreed.

“So what kind of good news you received?” He asked as he took a sip of the coffee.

“Well, I———” A rang interrupted Jennie, it was coming from the man's phone.

“Wait, I'll answer this.” he said and she nodded. Examining his reaction, it looked like something urgent.

“I'm sorry. But something happened. I'll see you later. Thank you for the treat.” he says before leaving her there.

The girl sighed, “I forgot to ask his name . . . Again.”

_________

The next day, Jennie was extremely nervous about what the questions that might be asked.

“Ah, yes, we investigate———ah, is it too fake?” Jennie stared at her reflection in the mirror as she practiced what to say.

“Don't be too nervous. It's going to be fine. It's not like that reporter is going to bite you.” Baekhyun says, leaning on the doorway as she watched Jennie.

“She's nervous since it's her first job after two years.” Tzuyu says and Jennie instantly agrees.

“The reporter is here.” Mr. Seo says as the reporter stood beside him. Jennie quickly turned her attention to Mr. Seo and her eyes widened when she saw who was the reporter.

It was that man. Pale skin. Cold eyes. And ashbrown hair. It was him. The man who saved her.